XVI. Little Red

Scarlet stood there, gazing at her wet body. After her breakdown, Annabella told her to take a warm shower and calm herself. Scarlet released a deep breath and then looked back up from the black tiles. She lifted a shaky hand, running it across her collarbone.

Raoul.

That was the only name tattooed across her flesh.

Scarlet found it funny - when she saw the name she gave him inside the bathroom of the hotel. She thought his real name would've engraved itself across her flesh, but it never did.

Some may says that a name is merely a name - but that is untrue.

Your name is who you are, your identity.

He does not accept any other name except the one who identifies him - Raoul - red wolf.

Scarlet rushed her finger across her teary eyes and got dressed. She reached for the bathroom knob, then walked towards the bedroom. Her phone began to ring, showing an unknown number. She picked it up, resting it against her ear. "I'm sorry," she heard a familiar voice, and her eyes began to widen as she held a hand over her mouth. "I had to leave."

She bit her lower lips, attempting not to cry. "Why?" she responded.

"They want me, Scarlet...If I didn't leave. They will hurt you, and I don't want you to get hurt," his voice was deep, and she could hear the pain behind it.

"They can't hurt me," she responded, quite angry Raoul would leave.

"You don't know what they are capable of."

"The werewolf community may be filled with a bunch of hot-headed were-"

Raoul turned seeing Quinton tapping the watch on his wrist. "Not them."

Scarlet rushed her fingers through her wet hair, hearing the urgency behind Raoul's voice. "Raoul...Please, come back...We can talk about th-"

"Scarlet...I'm sorry," he whispered before hanging up.

Scarlet dropped to her knees, listening to the silence of the other side. Hearing light footsteps, Scarlet turned around seeing Annabella standing near her door. "There's something wrong with Raoul." She stood up, rushing towards her grandma. "Please, grandma...I don't want him to leave," she cried.

Annabella sighed, patting her granddaughter back. "I need him...I need Raoul," she continued repeating, not understanding why she felt the way she does towards someone she met not too long ago.

She shouldn't feel that way - no, but she felt an unspeakable emotion for Raoul.

Perhaps, it was because he marked her or...maybe it was something much more.

Annabella's lips thinned. "I'll make some calls," she attempted to reassure Scarlet who nodded.

When Scarlet finally fell asleep, Annabella patted her head and sighed. She stood up, planting a kiss on Scarlet's temple, "I'm sorry Little Red," she whispered, then slowly walked out of the room, and closed the door lightly to ensure she doesn't wake up.

Her phone began buzzing, and she headed towards her bedroom. She rested her aching body on the bed and grunted lightly before picking up the phone.

"Hello, mother!" Scarlet's mother chirped happily.

"Ruby."

Ruby sat down on the white colored couch, picking up a cup of tea. "You sure sound ecstatic hearing my phone call."

Annabella rolled her eyes, "Excruciatingly," her voice was dripping with sarcasm.

"Anyways...How is Scarlet?"

"She finally calmed down in her bedroom," Annabella responded wondering if she should go bake some muffins for Scarlet before she leaves.

Ruby sighed, "My poor baby." Ruby pouted placing down her cup. "It must hurt a lot, particularly since she got marked by that little pup of hers too." She twirled the strand of hair in front of her head. "How dare that pup marked her." She shook her head, "Werewolves, I swear...they have absolutely no control."

Annabella grunted at her aching body and stood up, heading towards her bookshelf. "But, it must be done."

Ruby nodded, "She is chosen to be the next Little Red after all." She pouted, resting her elbow on the couch, "Who would've guessed that a subject living right in your backyard."

Initially, the plan was to get grandma so-called kidnap and Scarlet had to rescue her. To save her, Scarlet would've forcibly accepted the role as the next Little Red. None of them foresee that she would fall in love with a werewolf, changing their plans.

Over decades, the Hood's family learned never to fight the river, but rather flow with it. 

Annabella pulled out a book partially causing the shelf to swerve outward showing stone staircase. One by one she walked down the steps. "Did you contact Alice?"

"Yes. She told me that Scarlet requested her to analyze the cookies and she said right what we told her to say," Ruby responded, tucking a strand of hair back as she leaned forward and clicked a few times sending the money to Alice bank account.

Finally, Annabella reached the bottom of the staircase as her eyes roamed around the bright room. Frames were hung on the wall. One by one, she continued walking until she met with her late husband - Blaze.

Annabella met Blaze during his younger days before he became Little Red. Before he knew the history of the Hood's family. Annabella knew that Blaze never wanted to be Little Red, but was instead forced with the responsibility when she was pregnant with Ruby, the next Little Red. With time, Annabella fell in love with the Hood's family, not wanting them to get hurt. She supported Blaze until the day of his last breath, knowing it was his responsibility to carry on his family's business.

In the Hood's family, only those who were chosen as the Little Red may carry on the name and business. Without a Little Red, Grandma's Bakery will collapse - driving them all to the streets.

It was fifty years ago, when someone who wasn't carrying the title took over the business, and it nearly crumbled in a matter of days. Not just the company, but lives were at stake. The Hood's family were all suffering from lousy luck from getting run over by cars to being murdered in broad daylight.

It was as if they were cursed.

No one knew why, but understood that it all started with the first Little Red - Rose Hood.

"Did you contact the members of the facility?" Annabella asked.

Ruby nodded, "Yes...They will call soon to discuss certain terms with Scarlet which will give her no option but to take over the business."

Annabella sighed as she looked at the blank frame after Ruby. Currently, Ruby is the Little Red behind the famous Grandma's Bakery. Her husband may be the face of the company, but she is the true owner.

 Her husband may be the face of the company, but she is the true owner