XIX. An Unbattle Battle

"Excuse me, but miss...are you okay?" a soft voice whistle through Scarlet's ears.

She took a few blinks, washing away the tears the sting her eyes, and nodded, "Y-Yeah I'm f-fine." She position a hand on the wall and attempted to stand up.

Unable to properly lift herself, she dropped down. Her eyes automatically clamp shut, ready to fall only to feel a pair of warm arms wrapped around her body. She looked up, feeling hot air brushed against her face. "Now, that would've been bad," he chuckled anxiously, and helped her stood up.

Scarlet attempted to gather herself as fast as possible and thanked the stranger. He smiled, noticing her reddened eyes and viciously scratched neck, but decided not to question it. He knew immediately she was having a rough day, and asking it would be the worse it would be the worse thing he could do.

Scarlet's eyes dropped, noticing he was still holding her hand.

His eyes maneuvered towards her peripherical vision and chuckled, not realizing their skin were still in contact. Before he can release her hand, a vicious growl lingered in the air.

They turned towards the sound, and before Scarlet can react - Raoul marched towards him and pinned him against the wall, darkening eyes glaring into him. "Why is Scarlet hurt?" His grip tightens around the man's coat. "Did you hurt her?!"

Scarlet held onto Raoul's forearm, attempting to pull him away from the man. "Stop! Stop it Raoul!" she shouted, feeling the enraging beating inside his chest.

"He hurt you!"

"You hurt me!" she shrieked from the top of her lungs.

Raoul dropped the man, eyes casting towards her. His eyes fell on the scratches on her neck, stretching down towards her collarbones where his marking lays. Steadily, he lifted his hand causing her to flinch as he pulled her shirt down revealing the harsh claw mark.

The man glanced at both of them, understanding it was a lover spat, so he decided to fade into the background and left.

Silence lingered in the air.

Scarlet crossed her arms when the breeze rushed past both of them. Raoul took a step forward, while Scarlet stepped back. After two steps, he didn't allow her to retract as he reached for her arm and pulled her back into his chest.

Scarlet's body trembled at his warm touch, noticing he was only wearing a t-shirt. He forgot his coat inside the building. She bit her lower lips harshly, allowing the blood to drip down.

Raoul tilted his head, laying a sweet kiss on the scratch marks on her collarbone.

She pushed his chest lightly, "Shouldn't you go back to your mate," her tone was harsher then she intended.

Raoul didn't respond. He place another kiss on her neck...repeatedly causing her to moan with pure ecstasy. Raoul's hand began roaming from her arched of her back reaching her bubble bottom.

Scarlet used all her willpower and pushed him back, shaking her head ever so slightly. "N-No...We can't," she whispered.

When her eyes captured Raoul, she could see nothing but pain. The pain of not being with his mate, the one bonded to him for life.

They were fated.

Raoul and Scarlet...are not.

White twinkles began dancing down from the sky as their breaths started fogging the cold air. "I don't care...Scar...I love you."
He placed a chilly hand on her firey cheek, "How many times must I say it until you believe me?"

She wanted to laugh - so very hard.

How can she believe a man who is fated to another woman?

How can she trust his words knowing he may pack up and leave her one day without any rhyme or reason.

She shook her head, and if she could, she would back away. Only if there wasn't a wall blocking her escape. "I can't believe you." She looked up at him, as the tears dripped down his tanned cheeks. "Leave...Go be with her." She smiled, removing his hand, "We both know how this story will end...so let's not waste either of our time."

Scarlet removed her eyes, not wanting to look at Raoul any further as she lifted the arm that blocks her.

Slowly, very slowly, she walked away.

After all, why fight a losing battle?