XXI. Once a Fool, Always a Fool

Scarlet took a few blinks, feeling her wet lashes gazing against the cuts on her eyes. "What?"

Lyla took a step forward, "The Moon Goddess mated Raoul and me, not you two. So, please stay away from Raoul. He is mine."

Scarlet's eyes twitched, white knuckles from clenching her fist too hard, as her nails continued digging deeper into her palms. Her teeth feel as if it would crack any second from the effort to remain silent, her chest compressed. Her face was red with suppressed rage, and when Lyla dared to spoke those words in front of her face, she snapped.

She was there first -

She rescued Raoul - despite being the one almost accidentally killed him.

She was the one who stayed up all night and rubbed Raoul's back until he fell asleep.

She was the one who kissed all his booboos when he got hurt.

She was his first hug.

She was his first kiss.

She was his first love.

She was his first everything.

She was there first, so why is another girl whom he met not too long ago got the right to say that he belongs to her?!

Scarlet lifted her hand and slapped Lyla, "I was there first! Why do you get to call him yours when you barely know each other?!" She wants to tear Lyla's innocent face off.

Lyla placed a hand on her stinging cheek, mouth gaped open but no words dare to come out as her teary eyes gazed at Scarlet.

"I was there when he first shifted! My name was his first word! I was his first kiss! I was there first! ME!" Scarlet knew she was at her breaking point. She knew she had to stop, but somehow she couldn't, "Raoul belong to me!"

Her trembling hands tighten into fists,"I love him first!" she cried, rebellious tears continuously dripping down.

Scarlet raised a fist toward Lyla until a warm hand grabbed her wrist and pulled her back. Her face slammed against a broad chest, and she looked up to meet with deep amber. Her heart skipped several beats, body refusing to stop trembling at the sight of him, "Are you here to tell me off for hitting your mate?" her voice was cracked more and more with each word.

Raoul furrow brows soften when his eyes met teary ones, "I'm sorry."

He turned his head towards Lyla, "I'm sorry...I can't be your mate."

Tears streamed down Lyla's face as her hand still clung onto her stinging cheek, eyes gazing at Raoul who was holding another woman. He wasn't supposed to hold Scarlet so comforting - that warmth was supposed to belong to Lyla. "W-What?"

"I can't be your mate," he repeated.

Raoul's grip tightens on Scarlet's wrist as he slides an arm around her waist. Scarlet buried her face into his chest and began a loud cry into it.

"I, Raoul, reject you, Lyla Coleman as my mate."

He lifted Scarlet into his arms and walked away, leaving Lyla completely stunned. "Please, don't ever show your face in front of us," he spoke in a cold tone, before returning to his pace.

"You're going to regret this," Lyla mumbled, feeling the pain emerging inside her chest.

"The only regret I'll feel is not choosing to be by Scarlet."

Once inside the elevator, Scarlet wrapped her arms around his neck. "You fool."

He smiled, "I told you...for you-"

"Then, Raoul will be the biggest fool in the world."