• Queen •

Chapter one: Queen

"You must learn the basics about being a Queen, Hyun Ae

"You must learn the basics about being a Queen, Hyun Ae." my Mother muttered. She's holding the tea pot in pure elegance. Everything she does sets the best examples for me. And despite the years that passed, her youthful beauty is blooming like how the cherry blossoms.
"You must learn how to walk in grace and set the best example for the women of our nation." She said, sipping from her cup of tea. I did the same as she
does—but soon met with the hot fluid. 

I winced. Tears brimming at the sides of my eyes.

My Mother let out a small laugh, before coming to my aid. She wipes some stain from my newly sewed hanbok. Then cupped my chins and look at me in full adoration. "But even a Queen—starts from nothing."

      "Your Majesty!" I sighed opening my eyes in the process. The troubled face of my sang-gung was the first thing that I see. She's breathing heavily, some sweats are dripping from the top of her head.
That's when I notice what's in her hands. A letter.
"The Queen dowager is asking for your presence." She said. I took the letter from her and as I read it, my hearts keeps hammering through my chest not because I'm nervous to once again meet with the Queen dowager, but out of anger. "She ordered an urgent meeting in her
palace, all the King's concubines and former King's concubines will be there. And she firmly said that being the Queen Consort won't make an exception."

She really won't stop.

I once again sighed. "She really wants that woman in my palace, isn't she?" I muttered, reading each words that were neatly written in the piece of parchment. From the corner of my eyes, I saw how pale Court Lady Suk have become but she nodded either way, already know what I was talking about. I gave her back the letter, smiling but tightly gripping the fabric of my clothes. 
I stood up from my throne and smiled. "Let's hurry then, My sang-gung."

"Your Majesty—"

"I will be fine, Court Lady Suk. I am the Queen, my presence is needed." My voice is firm and full of authority, something that I've learnt to master over the years of being the youngest Queen of the Jeon Palace. Something my Mother taught me.

We walked out of my palace, the other court ladies who were waiting outside hurried into a line behind my back, accompanying me to where I would be going.

I walk like nothing bad and unfortunate would happen. I walk like how my Mother taught me. I walk in grace and
power, something a Queen must have as the second ruler of her nation.

The Queen dowager's palace isn't far from where my palace was. Just a little walk and I'll be once again welcomed by her distastful attitude.

She doesn't like me—at all. She hates me for being picked as the partner of her son. I have no idea why, but I can see that she favors to other than my family.

And now that she sees an opportunity to disrupt my ruling, she won't let it go. She will grab it—she grabbed it. And she won't stop until her plans are indeed successful.

But as the Queen, I wouldn't let treasons happen in my nation. I won't tolerate crimes inside the walls of my palace. As long as I have the position, she won't succeed.

I won't let it.

We arrived at the Queen dowager's palace. Her trusted court lady Goo and her other court ladies are outside. They all showed their respect by bowing their head, and remained that way until I walk up the small stairs and entered the former ruling Queen's chamber.

The smell of lotus welcomed me, and of course the Queen who's busy watering a pot was situated in her throne. I slightly bow my head. Even if we don't get along I still pay her some respect, because after all she's still my Mother-in-law.

I didn't bother to question why there's only two of us in the room, and have no trace of the other concubines being in there. It must be just her another way to get to me.
Which isn't surprising. Not at all.

"You called for me?" I said. Walking forward and sitting across to her.
The Queen dowager stopped what she was doing and pay me her full attention. Her eyes are narrowed and her lips are pursed in a thin line, indicating how much she hates being in my presence.

"Do you think I wouldn't know? You have planned on sabotaging Consort Hui's naming as the royal Consort!" She snarled, hands closing into fist and gripping her skirt a little tighter. But despite her hatred towards me, I remain calm and unbothered. I have no intention on making anymore fights between us. The best way to handle her is to keep my mouth shut, even for a little while.
"My son once chose her as his Queen! He is the King thus he have the right to choose whoever he wants! Especially when his Queen Consort is sort of useless!"
Something inside me came ablaze. But I managed to collect myself and sighed.

"Useless?" I muttered, eyes not leaving her's. "You called your Queen, useless?"

"I am still a Queen—"

"I didn't question your title, Your Royal Highness, I was merely asking." I muttered. She opened her mouth but no words came out and shut it back, but kept her blazing glares on me. Which I fight with calmness while thinking of a way to end this meeting. Though I still want to hear more from her.

The tension between the both of us didn't waver, and the quietness of the place does not help. Both of us are staring at one another, glaring, taunting, mocking. I did all I can to remain a bit calmer than she is, keep reminding myself that she's still the former Queen before her husband died, and still the Mother of the ruling King, my King.

"Consort Hui Bin is considered a Princess before she came here to be Jeongguk's Royal Noble Consort. And she will be a Queen. That I ensure you." She gritted. "Now leave, I am done with you." The Queen dowager said, pointing at her palace's door.

I didn't utter any word and stood up with my mouth tightly shut. But halfway on my track, I stopped and looked back down at her, "I may not be born as a Princess but I am now the Queen." I said and smiled, "And will always be your Queen."

•Sang-gung - Court Lady of the palace
•Queen Dowager - wife of a deceased King
•Royal Noble Consort - higher rank consort

----------------------

This book is work of fiction. Names, characters, some places, and incidents are products of the author's imagination and are used in fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, places or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Plagiarism is a Crime.

Try to plagiarize this and you will face the wrath of the Author.

Queen of  Joseon
WRITTEN BY: bts7ven

Enjoy reading folks!

You can Add or Follow me on:
Instagram: bts7ven

Thanks for reading my stories.