• Betrayal of the Court •

Chapter twenty-five: Betrayal of the Court

"Talk." I gritted, eyes firm as I gaze on the wounded man. His sneer did not come unnoticed, and not like it will do him any good.

"We never see the faces of the people that pay us. They'll just go to our place, pay us the right amount, then we'll do as they say." He snarled. "I told you I dont know them."
"But," He sighed, earning all of our attention. "But I heard them talking about being in the Court, and their clothings were too expensive for a mere merchant. They must be an official with the amount of silk in their robes."

I knew it.

"Why do they want to hurt the Chois?" I asked. The man huffing.

"They said the Queen will be powerless without her people. After all, a bird can't fly without its wings."
"For those men, the Queen is just a crow-tit. A small bird trying to walk like the storks."

"Crow-tit fly faster than Stork." Said Minister Park from beside me. When I turn to him, he was already gazing at me. "Those men don't have any idea what kind of bird they are dealing with."

"Your Majesty!" Someone shouted, interrupting us. I turn to face the broken door of the abandoned room, and there was Ji Seok.
"Your Majesty! We need to hurry back to the palace!" She rushed to my side, there were some trickle of sweat in her face.

"Your Majesty? Wait—y-you're a Queen!?" We did not bother turning to face back the man. Ji Seok's alarming reaction bothers me.

"Jun Seok," I called to my other knight.

"Yes, Your Majesty?" He bowed.

"You know what to do with this man." I gritted, "I want him gone before sunrise."
"What is happening?" I then turned to Ji Seok, all while making my way out of the placw.

"The officials are—are accusing you of adultery alongside Minister Park."

My steps halted. "What?" I gritted.

"Someone followed you on your way here, and saw the both of you. They are assuming that this place were your hidden meeting place—" I raised my hand, eyes firm and jaw clenched.

I never felt so angered. 

They are accusing me of something I will never do. My loyalty has always been to the King..I would never do something against him.
And the King? What would the King do?

I turn to face Ji Seok, eyes quickly meeting Minister Park's gaze.

"The King? Where is he?" I asked. There was a part of me that is scared to know the truth, but I have to. And perhaps, there was still one tinge of hope that the King will protect me.

"He was in the Court, Your Majesty. They are having a discussion regarding this matter." Ji Seok answered.

"Or not..." The word came out weak and small. Suddenly I feel weak, powerless.