• Quiet River •

Chapter three: Quiet River 

It was easy to sneak out of the palace, especially when the royal guards are busy patrolling the land

It was easy to sneak out of the palace, especially when the royal guards are busy patrolling the land. And when you're wearing a commoner's clothes inside a palanquin.

It was already noon when we reached the closest town just beneath the land where the palace was built.

I quickly asked the men holding the palanquin to let me off, which they obliged. "You can roam and visit your family, just make sure to be in this spot before the moon rises on the sky." I said, giving them a small nod and walking further away. Mixing along with the others, with my people.
And the men bowed to pay me their respect, before they too, left to visit places they've been yearning to be.

The town was as busy as it always have been. Sang-min were all around the place, mixing just well with one another, going on with their usual lives.

These are my people. The people that me and my King fights so hard for.

I enjoyed roaming around the town without any care of what could happen, though in the corner of my eyes I can see some familiar faces cautiously making sure of my safety.

With one destination in mind, I walk continuously. Not sparing anyone a glance, not even greeting some merchant that would try to get me to buy their goods.

My clothes were enough evidence that some people in lower class could not touch me. The vibrant combination of green and pink spews nothing but 'noble blood' in their eyes. At least, that's all they had to know.

The bridge of the quiet river is where I am headed. There I would meet the person I trusted in an important mission.

"My sister!" A voice called from behind me. The young boy looking more beautiful as his eyes slightly twinkle with the help of the moon's light. As the man from beside him smile the same way. Both are happy to see me.

"My lovely sister!" He called on again. Now running towards where I stood from the bridge atop the quiet river.

I welcomed the young boy with open arms, smiling as his tiny body collided with mine, and giggle emits from my lips when he hugged me as tight as if I would to disappear from any moment.

"I've missed you, my lovely sister!" His voice filled with so much love and longing it touches my heart.
I broke the hug and bent a little to come face to face with him.
His chubby cheeks were flushed, as his eyes became teary.

I sighed, "I missed you too, Hyun Shik." I mumbled. Giving him a kiss on his forehead.

As another voice interrupted, "How was the palace?" The older man asked. Smiling down at me and my younger brother.