II

Y/N = your name

Updated : September 8th, 2023

Rewritten : 03/18/2024-
-

The sun's rays rudely interrupt my slumber, its relentless brightness poking through the curtains with a persistence I can't ignore. Despite a deep desire to remain cocooned in my bed, I grudgingly accept the day's arrival. With a heavy sigh, I peel myself from the sheets, my movements slow and heavy with sleep. Trudging to the bathroom, I'm a reluctant participant in the morning ritual, splashing water on my face in a feeble attempt to shake the drowsiness clinging to me like a stubborn shadow.

"Let's go, Hawk! Time to restock on food and check out the town," I say with a yawn. After a quick brush of my hair and teeth, I find Hawk playfully rolling on the bed.

"I'm really feeling it," I hear, followed by Hawk's stomach growling loudly, an echo bouncing off the walls. Hawk tries to get up but ends up tumbling off the bed with a soft 'thump'.

"Meow!" I try not to laugh as Hawk quickly pretends nothing happened.

"You're always hungry, aren't you? You'll come back as a pig in your next life with that appetite," I tease, finishing getting dressed and stepping outside.

"Alright, let's get moving before it gets dark." You hop onto your horse, Hawk tagging along, and off you go into the village.

-

"Neigh!"

"HEY! Be careful!!" My heart leaps into my throat as I call out to the children darting in front of us, my grip tightening on the reins.

"Oh, you're the girl my dad helped, aren't you?" The young girl's voice is clear and curious, and as I glance down, I'm met with a pair of striking blue eyes that seem to capture the very essence of curiosity. Her silver hair seems to shimmer even without much light, and her hands are clasped together in front of her as if she's holding onto a precious secret. I can't help but smile back at her as I nod.

"That's me! And you must be the daughter he's so proud of, right?" I reply, my voice laced with a friendly tone.

"Yes! I'm Elizabeth, but please, just call me Liz," she responds with a grin, her teeth a stark contrast to her bright eyes. There's an undeniable cuteness about her that just radiates.

"Ash, you're absolutely adorable! Those cheeks of yours are just begging to be pinched!" I can't contain my excitement, and with a playful squeal, I reach out and give her cheeks a gentle tug, feeling a wave of affection wash over me like a grandmother who's just been reunited with her favorite grandchild.

"Hear we go again." I hear Hawk mumble. Smiling I stop cuddling the girl and look over to the other small children with her.

"Oh these are my friends !! Tylion and Gemma!" Waving to them I do the same thing I did to Liz to them. Kids can be cute, sometimes.

"Well be careful okay? You have to be cautious about where your running in front of,  so you don't get hurt. Okay?" Tilting my head , I start to stand up.

Elizabeth tugs at my sleeve with her small hand, her blue eyes wide with the unspoken promise of childhood games. "Will you play with us?" she asks, her voice hopeful.

Internally, I sigh. To be honest, my mind whispers a reluctant no, yearning for a moment of calm. But looking down at her eager face, I can't help but relent. "Alright, Liz, I'll play, but just for a little while, okay?"

Her grin is immediate and bright, and before I know it, she's pulling me by the hand, leading me towards the laughter and chaos of her waiting friends.

Starting a simple game of tag and beginning to chase each other around the village, was the epitome of joy and tiredness. These kids had so much energy it was tiring for me.