1: Rescuer

Selena's breathing was harsh in her chest as she ran. It was getting dark and she was trying hard not to make any sounds, but she couldn't help but whimper every time her foot hit the hard forest floor.

There were three dead ones after her, which hopefully meant that her two friends were safe; they had been trying to shake these three for days. As she ran in the opposite direction of their little safe place, Selena could feel her ankle getting worse by the second. She was sure by now that she had broken it in the fall that led the dead ones to her, but she had no choice but to run on it.

However, it could only take her so far, and finally, her ankle gave way, sending her into the dry leaf litter. The moaning got louder behind her and she struggled to crawl away from them. She had no weapon, no armour, and now she had no way of running.

Suddenly, there came the sound of thunder, stopping right at her head, before three quiet pops, followed by a further three thumps as the dead ones hit the floor. Selena turned, lifting her head as she tried to push herself up.

In front of her on the path, was an enormous black horse with a chicken on its head, and a large chestnut horse without a chicken.

Selena thought she was going insane, but the pain in her ankle snapped her back to reality as she realised that the horses had riders.

"Are you hurt?" A deep voice from the chestnut horse sounded, followed by the dull thumps of feet hitting the floor. A shadow fell across her, blocking the light, and all she could see was a tall, muscular form with guns at its hips.

"Please don't hurt me," She squeaked, unable to find her voice through the shock and the pain, "I didn't mean to trespass, I was just trying to escape,"

"Don't be scared," A male voice came from on top of the black horse, "We aren't going to hurt you. We saw you so came to help,"

The figure next to her crouched down, "Can you stand?"

Selena shook her head and yelped in surprise as she was lifted in a pair of strong arms and held against a solid chest. She looked up, her eyes wide when she finally saw her rescuer. He was very tall, with short, dark hair pushed back away from his face. His features were sharp but still quite delicate, and his skin was free from any blemish. She found herself just staring at him with eyes wide as her cheeks began to heat up.

"Is she okay, Hyung?"

"I don't know," The deep voice rumbled through him, sending shivers down Selena's body, "Maybe we should get her back to camp. She could be in shock?"

"Okay," The younger man, also very pretty, reached up and lifted the chicken from the horses head and pulled it back to his lap before turning his horse.

"We're going to take you back to our home, is that okay?"

Selena nodded dumbly, gasping quietly when he smiled down at her, "Alright, we're going to ride fast, okay?"

He gently placed her on the saddle and hopped up behind her, leaning around to grab the reins, "Hold on tight,"

The horse leapt forward as the black horse did, and they galloped side by side back in the direction the riders had come from. They were only riding for around ten minutes before the trees cleared to reveal an enormous camp in the middle of a clearing. There were tall fences around the clearing, with small cabins in neat rows along one side of the grounds, and what looked like crops on the other. There was a huge barn with a paddock in front of it, and Selena could see animals grazing. In the middle was a large manor house, with a greenhouse next to it. At the front, there was a watchtower, and just inside the gates was a large cabin within more fencing. There was also a gate and a pathway fenced in towards another large cabin that was set next to the crops.

"What is this place?" She breathed as they approached the gates.

"Home," The man said behind her said, "You're safe here,"

The gates swung open and they quickly went inside. However, instead of heading to the next gate with the rider on the black horse, the rider behind her swung the horse around to the left, towards the cabin next to the tower. He jumped down from the horse and reached up, lifting Selena down and carrying her towards the door.

"Yoongi!" He called up at the tower, and a moment later, a head popped out, a mop of dark hair falling over his face.

"Glad to see that you took care of Jungkook," He called down, "I would have killed you if he was hurt,"

The man holding Selena rolled his eyes, "Jungkook knows how to patrol properly. He's better at it than me, now,"

Yoongi snorted, "If you say so. I already radioed ahead, but she's busy. Breea's still not well and threw up all over Sarge, apparently,"

Selena could feel her cheeks heat up even more when the man carrying her let out a masculine chuckle, "Alright. I'll wait here with her until she can get to us,"

The man in the tower disappeared and Selena was on the move again. The door to the cabin was pushed open and she was plunged into darkness suddenly before a light flickered on.

"Sorry," He mumbled as he placed her on a wooden bench, "The windows have to be covered at night or we can't have a light on,"

Selena looked around the room she was in. It was quite spacious, and there were two long wooden tables with a chair on either side. She was sat on a wooden bench along the wall near the front door.

"What is this place?" She said, "It looks like..."

"It's an examination room," The man said, taking a seat opposite, "Obviously we can't let you into our camp until you are checked out and vaccinated. Once you're vaccinated, we take you to the isolation ward in the medical centre, where you stay for twenty four hours, and then you can go inside,"

Selena's eyes widened, "V- Vaccinate? I thought those were just rumours?"

The man smiled, "No, it's real. Our head scientist is a brilliant woman. You're safe here," He suddenly went pink, "I uh, forgot to ask your name,"

"I'm Selena," For some reason, she felt herself blushing again. The man was gorgeous, which was why she was nervous before, but all he had done was ask her name.

"That's a pretty name," He said, shifting uncomfortably on the bench, "I'm Shownu,"

"Nice to meet you-" Selena cut herself off suddenly, jumping up to her feet, "My friends!" She cried, "I have to get back to them, they aren't safe!"

Shownu stood up and walked towards her as she rushed to the door. He placed his hand gently on her shoulder, "I promise I will find them," He said, "But it's dark out right now. I promise I will look for them in the morning, okay?"

Selena took a deep breath and nodded. He was right. Even if she went out now, she wouldn't be able to find them.

"Okay," She said, "Thank you,"

He smiled, "Why don't you sit? I'll go and grab you something to eat,"