16: Orange Button

Leo had begun working in the lab with Bee, and found that she really did enjoy it. Despite their history, the Doctor was patient with her and seemed eager to teach her everything she knew. Leo didn't know the periodic table of elements, and all the different chemicals, but she was quickly picking them up and enjoyed her time researching different things in the lab.

"Bee?" She called while looking in a microscope, "What does this mean? I don't think it's doing what you said it might,"

Bee put down her pen and moved to Leo, peering in to look at the sample. She pulled away quickly, a smile on her face, "It's not doing what I said," She agreed, "Because it's working! The vaccination is fighting off the disease!"

"That's a good thing, right?" Leo asked sheepishly, "It means you made the vaccination?"

"Correct!" Bee said happily, "Let's make a batch and test it again, and then we can think about moving on to trials,"

***

Selena blushed as Shownu pulled away, ending their kiss. They had been together for a week or so, and whenever she had a break, he would take one too so they could relax together. However, it meant that some of the time, other soldiers on patrol around the fence would see them and cheer or make comments.

Apparently, Shownu was very well loved. A lot of the people in the camp cared for him, and she had already been told by the three women who lived in the manor house that if she played around with him, there would be trouble.

However, she did have feelings for him, and they all seemed content that he was happy.

"I think," Shownu said, snapping her out of the clouds, "That Leo is happier now. I saw her earlier with Bee when they were taking a break. She's better?"

Selena smiled, "Much better. I haven't seen her this relaxed in a while. She probably was so bad before because of the illness, but I'm glad we were here when everything happened because we wouldn't have known what to do. We might have had to leave her behind,"

"Luckily, you're here," He smiled at her. He leaned down, giving her a quick peck on her lips, before standing up and helping her to her feet, "I have to get back. We have a training session with Jimin later, so I need to warm up," He shuddered a little, "He's intense. He's been putting me through Ghost training for years, but I'm still not on the level he expects. I don't know how they all did it,"

Shownu walked Selena back to the kitchen before heading towards the designated training area for the soldiers. She watched him go, before heading back inside, ready to start cooking the dinner.

***

"And if you move it here," Thalia said, wriggling the wand around on her stomach, "You can see that this part is the heartbeat. Can you point it out to me?"

Georgina pointed to the screen, fascinated. Thalia was showing her how to give fetal scans on her own stomach while Hyungwon watched happily from beside her.

"See that little orange button?" Thalia said, gesturing at the screen, "Push it,"

Georgina looked along the screen until she saw the orange button Thalia was talking about. She gently pushed it with her finger, and suddenly, a loud, quick sound filled the air.

"That's our baby's heartbeat," Hyung said proudly, "Isn't it beautiful?"

"Wow," Georgina said, her eyebrows raised, "That's fast,"

"A baby's heartbeat is much faster than an adults," Thalia said, finally pulling the want from her stomach. She wiped the lubricant up and pulled her top down, slowly pushing herself upright before switching off the machine.

"I have a tonne of medical books that you should have a look through," She said, "And lots of pregnancy and birth books that Taehyung acquired when Bee was pregnant. You'll be the one helping me deliver, seeing as your my nurse, so you need to brush up on your midwifery skills,"

"Me?!" Georgina gasped, "Such an important thing?! No way, I'm not confident enough to do that!"

"It's alright," Hyungwon laughed, "She's not throwing you in alone. Bee will be with you, and she's been studying for some time as well,"

Thalia got to her feet, "I just have to do the rounds," She said, "Why don't you take some books and go home?"

Georgina nodded, "Okay. Where are the books?"

***

"Hey, Hyung," Yoongi looked over at the door of the tower when he heard Jungkook's voice.

"Hey, Kook. What's up?"

"Bored," The younger man said, sitting down at the table and placing his white hen in front of him, "Everything is done for the day except the evening feeds,"

"Yeah, I noticed a lot of people have finished early today," Yoongi said, "Everything is running so smoothly lately,"

"You don't think that means something bad is going to happen?" Jungkook asked, "Like, the calm before the storm kind of thing?"

Yoongi reached out and ruffled Jungkook's hair, "Kook, it doesn't matter what happens, I'll always look out for you,"

"I can look out for myself now, Hyung," Jungkook grinned, "Maybe I'll protect you?"

Yoongi rolled his eyes, "Yeah, right," He turned his head back to the window, looking out over the area around them. He frowned, narrowing his eyes a little before reaching for the binoculars that were sat on the table, "You were right," He said, jumping to his feet, "There's a horde. And it's the biggest damn horde I've ever seen. We gotta tell everyone to hide, quick!"

---

AN: This series is starting to drag, so it will be ending soon. I'm just trying to find the right time to end it lol