07 • The Morning After

Lisa Manoban was convinced that she was the worst human being on the face of the Earth

After treating her wounded knee, the girl had changed to her pajamas and eventually fell asleep due to physical and mental exhaustion.

However, in the middle of the night, the girl had woken up, thanks to her dry throat that was bothering her to no end.

Pulling the bedroom door open, she was greeted by an unusual sight. Jungkook was hunched over himself at the small dining table, his shoulders were shaking a little, and his large hands shielded his face from the rest of the world.

Is he... crying?

The sudden realization stopped the girl from stepping another foot into the living room. There was a tinge of hurt spreading across her chest as she watched him. She felt downright awful seeing the confident boy so broken.

When Jungkook started wiping his tears away, she closed the door before he could take notice of her. It pained her so much to see him like this, because it was a no-brainer that she was to blame for it. The way she treated him all night was appalling; if her members were here, they will be very disappointed in her for sure. She may even get a scolding from Jisoo and Jennie.

It was true that she could be harsh and unreasonable at times. She would get overwhelmed by her emotions, making her quick to anger. Then, she would proceed to ignore the person who hurt her in a sad attempt of self-preservation. This was one of the reasons why she had always fought with Chaeyoung during their trainee days.

But, even then, she always regretted her harsh words in the end. It didn't matter if her anger was warranted or not, she would always feel bad for saying them and ultimately want to take them all back.

She was far from perfect, but this negative trait of hers was something she was trying to work on up until now.

However, the stress of the past two days had finally caught up to her. She knew that it was not a good enough reason to be acting out to Jungkook, who had been nothing but nice to her since they had met. But, that was all she had.

I need to make it up to him tomorrow. With that final thought, Lisa closed her eyes; heart feeling heavy, hands feeling cold.

•••

The girl woke up early the next day to the loud snores of the boy beside her. The sound still brought her an unexplained sense of tranquility.

Jungkook was taking up two-thirds of the bed space and was hogging all of the blanket. But, she let it all pass.

Today, she was planning to smother the boy with kindness, whether he liked it or not.

Since she could not possibly cook to save her life, Lisa opted to prepare a fruit platter of strawberries, apples and mangoes with black tea for breakfast.

The girl closely watched the bedroom door as she worked, careful not to cut herself. Another wound was the last thing she needed right now.

Alas, Jungkook opened the door, his black hair a mess. She caught his gaze, their eyes locking for a moment, before she looked away first. His stare was too intense, and sad, and was taking her breath away.

It was weird, to feel so awkward around Jungkook again.

She watched him in her peripheral vision; he took a seat in the small sofa and stared blankly at the television. It felt like her ribs were squeezing her heart at the sight of him looking so forlorn.

After heaving a sigh and plastering a smile across her lips, she served the platter of fruits to the quiet boy. "Good morning, Jungkook!"

He looked startled at her greeting, "ah, good morning."

"I made you some breakfast," she muttered with a too friendly tone, "I hope you like these fruits."

"I like all kinds of fruits," he replied softly. His eyes followed her as she limped to and from the kitchen. "Do you need some help?"

"Nope, just stay right there. I made some tea, too. I hope that's okay." She added, bringing a teapot and two cups to the living room.

"Yeah, of course, what are these for?" He asked.

Her plan didn't seem to be working, with the way his eyes didn't brighten at the sight of the food. And so, she needed to make use of her natural charm instead, which her members said to be her greatest weapon yet.

Lisa bowed down in apology. "I'm so sorry for my nasty behavior last night. These are my peace offering."

He bowed down to her in return. "I'm the one who should apologize. I didn't know what I was thinking, jeopardizing your life like that. I'm sorry, Lisa."

"No," she argued, "you didn't jeopardize anything, okay? It wasn't your fault at all."

"You got hurt because of me. I should've done better," he mumbled, remorse coating every word, "I hope you forgive me."

With his doe eyes looking at her like that, she would forgive him for anything and everything. But then, "there's nothing for me to forgive, Jungkook. You, on the other hand, have everything to forgive."

"No, no, you did nothing wrong."

"We're just going in circles now," she chuckled in embarrassment, "just please accept my apology for being so mean. Please."

His answering grin was so mesmerizing that she had to take a double take to distinguish if it was real. "Fine, I accept, Lisa. But, for the record, you didn't do anything wrong. I understand where you're coming from now. Your feelings are valid."

Wow, she thought to herself, this boy is all kinds of amazing.

"This all just feels like we're two kindergarteners making up after a fight in the playground," she thought out loud, earning another smile from the boy. "We're okay now, right?"

"We're okay," answered Jungkook, making her sigh in relief.

The two grew quiet for a moment as they enjoyed their cups of tea. The thorns in Lisa's heart had turned into beautiful rose blossoms, as she watched him stuff his mouth with the sweet fruits.

"So, what are we going to do today?" She found herself asking.

Jungkook licked the strawberry juice off his fingers. "I don't know, you choose."

"I can't go swimming because of my knee, so please stay with me inside the house today," she requested.

"Sure. What do you want to do?"

The girl stroked her chin in contemplation. "Aha! I know! Let's binge watch some Korean dramas!" Judging by the look on the boy's face, she could tell that he wasn't a big fan of her idea.

Still, he managed to fake his enthusiasm, making her burst into a fit of laughter. "Let's get it!"

End of Chapter 7