19 • A Sky Full of Stars

Something's not right, the boy thought to himself as his eyes nervously followed the girl's every movement around their kitchen

He can't keep his eyes off of Lisa these days, that he was willing to admit; but this time, it was for an entirely different reason.

"Don't worry," said the gray-haired girl, her slender back to him, while she stirred the pot of kimchi stew. "I got this. Just go and play video games or something."

She kept using her baby voice, something she does every now and then. He noticed before that she did it more frequently when she was talking about her cats or asking him for favors. However, Lisa has been using her cutesy tone all morning. And as far as he could remember, she hadn't done that before.

She had also been fussing over him, asking him if he wanted to eat, drink, or do anything. Whatever he wanted to do, she was game for it, she said. Whatever he needed, she was at his disposal, too.

Although, he didn't dislike the attention, he was getting more and more weirded out at her sudden personality change as the day progressed.

He stayed rooted at his spot behind her. Something's definitely not right.

A moment later, she heaved a sigh and turned around to face him, "just let me do this for you, please," she pleaded. "I swear I'm not going to burn the house down."

He tried to analyze her face more intently, from the line between her eyebrows and her rose-tinted cheeks to the way the corners of her mouth drooped to form a sad pout. Her expressive, brown eyes still didn't give anything away.

"Fine, let me know if you need any help," he finally muttered, before making his way into the living room. Only a blind man would miss that something was bothering her and he vowed to know about it one way or another.

•••

It had been a long morning full of inescapable shame for Lisa, thanks to the recent bathroom incident.

After processing her emotions about what she had heard, she realized that it didn't matter to her one bit.

Looking at it from a scientific perspective, masturbation was a common sexual activity among men and women. And there was nothing wrong in doing it unless, of course, one did it in public and traumatized unsuspecting bystanders.

It was too easy for her to just get over what happened. Still, her guilt set in. And after a while, it became awkward for her to look him in the eye, knowing that she violated his privacy in the worst way possible.