17 • Rabbit Hole

Jungkook had never expected that he'd liked cooking so much

Jungkook had never expected that he'd liked cooking so much. Or maybe, he thought as he stirred a pot full of creamy sauce, I just like cooking for Lalisa.

He had left the moody girl in their bedroom a while ago, after giving her a bowl of her favorite ice cream flavor. Now, he was in the kitchen, preparing bacon carbonara for their lunch.

The boy smiled to himself, remembering how cute the girl looked, wrapped up in a blanket like a little dumpling. These days, everything she did was so lovely, it physically hurts him.

When the male idol was finally satisfied with the taste of the carbonara, he went to check on his companion again. She was already finished with her ice cream and seemed to be in a much better mood. "Hi, Kook. What's the secret to your flawless skin?"

At this point in their lives, he was already becoming used to her weird questions that pops out every now and then. "Just great genes, I think."

"Ah," she deadpanned, "makes perfect sense."

He laughed at her sarcastic response, "lunch is served, señorita. Do you want me to carry you into the dining room?" He kidded, he was already planning to bring a tray of food to her, anyway.

However, the girl took him by surprise when she replied, "well, if you insist, how can I possibly resist?"

Ugh, she's cute.

Not one to pass up an opportunity to get close to her, he quickly went to the girl's side and gently scooped her up in his arms. She was still light as ever.

"Hey! I'm just kidding," shrieked Lisa who quickly wrapped her arms around his neck.

He chuckled at her pouty expression as he carried her out of their bedroom. "Be careful what you wish for."

Then, her whole face finally brightened upon seeing the food laid out on the dining table. "Ah, Jeon Jungkook," said Lisa, "you're practically my chef now."

I can be anything you need me to be, Lisa, just say the word.

•••

The sky seemed to have caught on Lisa's gloomy mood because it suddenly started raining in the middle of the day. The sun was nowhere in sight, the air was icy cold, and dark clouds came rolling in, dampening the aura of the usually sunny place. It was the first time this had happened since they woke up on the island two weeks ago.

A while ago, Jungkook had moved the huge mattress in front of the television. Lisa, on one hand, was in the laundry room to gather curtains and bed sheets. The two were building a blanket fort in the living room, where they can stay warm and cozy for the rest of the day.

They were about to start watching one of Lisa's favorite films, About Time, when the telephone started ringing. The boy picked up the call.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Jeon," Siri started, "I would like to tell you that there is a thunderstorm in the island. I would very much appreciate it if you and Ms. Manoban stay indoors for the next two to three days. If there is any emergency, call me as soon as possible." Then, their kidnapper hung up on him.

"What did Siri say?" The girl asked from inside the blanket fort. He could detect the worry in her voice.

Relaying the information to her, Jungkook quietly observed as the girl fixed her gaze to a nearby window that was giving them a clear view of what was happening outside. "We're going to be okay, right?"

"Of course," he reassured her.

She grew quiet as she stared at the unusual scenery outside of the beach house. The coconut trees were swaying due to the harsh winds brought by the thunderstorm, while the high ocean waves looked more and more menacing by the second. "Have you noticed that I've never talked to Siri ever since we were brought here?"

Now that she had mentioned it, he realized that it was always him who had a conversation with their kidnapper over the phone, "yeah, why is that?"

"Because I'm scared of them," she bluntly answered. "They are my living nightmare. They are our living nightmare. I don't ever want to talk to them, if I can help it."

"Siri said that they're an ARMY and a Blink, but I doubt it," Lisa continued, her voice was soft and sad, "what kind of fan kidnaps their idols and holds them against their will, just because they ship them? No, they don't love or care for us at all..."

Jungkook had noticed her trembling form and went to sit beside her inside their fort, ready to provide her with any support she needed. He carefully took a hold of her cold hands and warmed them up with his.

"I've had a realization, you know," she looked at him with her teary eyes. "I think what really broke me during our first day in here was not the fact that we were kidnapped, not even that, but more of how a Blink could do such a cruel thing to me. It would have hurt less if it was an anti who did this to us instead."

She shook her head, "I don't think I could ever forgive them. I'm not selfless enough to do that."

It only occurred to him that he was also crying himself when she touched his cheek to wipe a tear away.

"For all the things Siri did wrong though, at least they did one thing right," there was a sparkle in her eyes when she said that; Lisa with her easy disposition was slowly coming back.

"What's that?"

"They trapped me here with you, and I couldn't ask for a better roommate," and then, she smiled that favorite smile of his.

He couldn't hold the genuine laughter that escaped his lips at her statement. Did she just roommate-zone me?

But, she wasn't finished surprising him just yet. Lisa squeezed his hands and lightly pressed her lips against his cheek, "thank you so much for taking good care of me, Jungkook."

Stunned, it took him seconds to process what had happened. Trying so hard to keep his cool, he looked her straight in the eyes and whispered, "you're welcome, my señorita."

If he had doubts before, there was none now. He had it bad for Lisa Manoban.

Jungkook couldn't believe how he fell for someone so quickly. It was like he fell—no, jumped straight inside a rabbit hole, but the good kind of rabbit hole, and loved every second of it because it was all for her.

All of the love songs he had been singing all his life made perfect sense now. It was like the songs were being re-written, right then and there, just for the two of them, while the thunderstorm rages on outside.

🎶

Close the door now
When I'm with you, I'm in utopia

🎶

End of Chapter 17

Author's Note:

Hi! My first entry for #CSW2020 is up in my "Iridescence" one-shot book. It would mean a lot to me if you give it a chance, too. 🥰🥰

Love,
Alaska