Chapter 33

I can't believe how fast time can really fly by. Regina is nine months pregnant now and is due any day. I think we have everything all ready. We decided on a Disney theme for the nursery. We've got all different characters on every wall. I made sure that all my favorites were up there. Dumbo, Stitch, and Eeyore all have the biggest spaces on the wall. We also have a beautiful bookcase all full of fairytales and a rocking chair, where we plan on reading to our son. We finally found out that we are having a boy at an ultrasound appointment two months ago. We tried to find out before, but he wasn't in the position for the doctor to be able to tell. Tonight Regina was really tired so we went to bed early but I couldn't sleep so I went down to my cave to play some video games. About two hours later my phone rings and it's Regina. "What's up babe?"   "Emma where are you?" Her voice sounds nervous. "I'm downstairs sweetheart, what's wrong?"  "Emma I don't feel right. I think something is wrong". The game controller drops from my hands and I run as fast as I can up two frights of stairs and into our bedroom. I go right to Reginas side. "Baby tell me what you are feeling".   "I woke up feeling some pains and I was all wet. I think my water broke".  "Ok. Do you think what you are feeling is labor". Regina starts crying. "I don't know Emma. This feels like nothing the doctor described or anything we read about. This just doesn't feel right Emma. I'm scared". I put my arms around her and rub her back. "It's ok sweetheart. Let me call the doctor". She nods and I call immediately. While I'm on the phone, Regina tries to get up so I help her. When she walks away from the bed I see red spots that look like blood. "Oh god".  I say and she turns around. "Emma please say that's not blood". I'm still on the phone with the doctor and she says it's sometimes normal to spot when your water brakes. I tell that to Regina and we both relax just a little. I hang up my call and say. "She wants us to go over the emergency room now and she will meet us there". Regina nods and I help her get changed and we leave right away. When we get there they put Regina in a wheelchair and rush us right in back. They get her into a gown and on the bed and start hooking her up to all different monitors that are making all kinds of different sounds. I'm just standing over in the corner of the room because they asked me to step back so they could get everything going. I'm scared to death and when I look at Regina I can tell she's feeling the same. Since we left the house the pain has gotten a lot worse for Regina. I'm finally able to hold her hand and the doctor comes in and quickly gets to work on looking at the monitors and checking vitals. They are having trouble finding the baby's heartbeat so she gets the ultrasound going, and if there is anything you never want to hear from you doctor it's this.  "Shit. Call the OR now. We've got to get this baby out". Regina grips my hand tighter. I say "Doc. What's happening please tell us".  "The cord seems to be wrapped around the baby's neck and his and Reginas pressure are dropping. If I don't get them into the OR now we could lose them both". The nurses start unplugging the equipment and start rolling the bed out the door and down the hallway. I'm holding on to Reginas hand the whole time. We get onto the elevator and get off on the surgical floor. "Emma I'm sorry but you will have to wait out here". "Like hell I will". Regina pulls on my hand and says "Everything will be ok my love". She pulls me to her and gives me a kiss and we both say I love you and then they take her through the doors. "Emma. I promise we will do everything possible for Regina and your son". The doctor said to me than walked away.