courting | irene

courting by irenecstatic on tumblr

Irene was never one to be bold, not even if it was to save her life, however that all went out the window the moment you walked through the café doors. It wasn't her intention but Joohyun could already feel her eyes follow your every movement, up until you had decided to take a seat at the table next to her. Looking up you had offered the timid beauty a small smile before shifting your eyes back to your red velvet cupcake and green tea latte. Irene had wanted to open her mouth to say something but had immediately shut it after thinking of how stupid it would've sounded to say "You're so pretty I'm crying how the heck." Through out your time at the café you could feel the girl's eyes continuously sneaking glances at you, they weren't so subtle anyways. You looked up to give her the surprise of her life by making eye contact with her, and in that moment you swore you'd never seen someone whip their neck around so quick. Stifling multiple giggles you continued to flip to another page of your half finished book. Hours had passed and you decided it was time to head back to your apartment as the sun had already began to set below the tall buildings. The mysterious girl looked like she wasn't budging anytime soon, sighing, you picked up your bag slung it over your shoulder walked out the door. That's not before you have her one last glance though. Irene's heart was content as she saw you glance back at her before leaving for the day.

"What's wrong with you?" Seulgi asked the second a love struck looking Joohyun stepped through the door.
"Mhm?" Irene hummed in response, clearly not paying much attention to the taller girl that was now next to her.
"Well you look stupid in love" Seulgi said, as if it was the most obvious thing ever.
"You could say that, actually" Irene spoke, a dazed look glazing over her doll like eyes.
"Ooo so someone finally managed to catch the tsundere's eyes?" Seulgi began.
"Who is it? " she questioned her again.
"An angel who walked into the café I was at today, I've never seen someone like that in my life." Joohyun had began to ramble on.
"Looks like your heart isn't made of ice after all then. " Seulgi chuckled while standing up from the couch, pouring herself a glass of water.
"Are you gonna go back to the café tomorrow then? Maybe it's a shot to see the princess" Seulgi continued, sipping on the water she had poured earlier.
"Probably" Irene continued as she made her way to her bedroom door.
"Good night Seul" she yelled before stepping inside her room.
Irene plopped down on her bed as she heard a muffled "Goodnight Hyun" from outside her door. Maybe, just maybe, she'd go back to the coffee shop the next day.
True to her word, Joohyun was in her spot from the day before, already sipping on her signature vanilla latte. Her eyes roamed the café for any sign of you, but to her disappointment you hadn't shown up yet. It was only after she focused on her work had she not noticed you walking through the door, in a simple oversized hoodie paired with a messy bun and circle framed glasses that sat perfectly on the bridge of your nose. After ordering your usual you took a seat at your normal seat, which was still, next to Irene. Joohyun had looked up at the sudden shuffling that was near her. Her jaw dropped yet again, Joohyun had never in her life expected for someone to look that good in what she would've normally called a lazy outfit. You smirked noticing her continued stares, only looking away when the waiter brought your order to the table. Again that day had you both gone through the routine of stealing glances while she choked on what seemed like nothing when you have direct eye contact.
It had been weeks since you had both established this routine of coming to the café everyday after your classes were let out. It was one day when Joohyun was feeling extra bold that she wrote her name down on a folded sticky note and placed it on your table within your sight. Almost immediately you had picked up the bright pink piece of paper, unfolding it to reveal the contents inside.
"Bae Joohyun " it read in possibly the neatest handwriting you'd ever seen in your life.
You raise your eyebrow as you looked at her, Joohyun had taken this chance and slid into the empty chair in front of you, with another cup of your usual order in one hand and some flowers in the other. She stuck her hand out signaling that she wanted to shake your hand. Reaching out in front of you, you grabbed her hand while introducing yourself as y/n.
"A beautiful name for a beautiful girl" Joohyun spoke, a soft smile displayed on her soft, pink lips.
"I could say the same about you love" you replied, almost ecstatic that she had chosen to make the first move. From the first introductions you both had hit it off more than you ever thought could be possible with your awkward self. During the conversation something along the lines of "I can't believe I actually did something this bold but it's looking out to be one of my decisions yet." Joohyun had told you. " Sooo..." she trailed off, "What would it take to be able to take you out to dinner this weekend? " she asked. You contemplated for a while, even though her actions were already winning you over.
"Mhm.. I don't know" you started.
"How about getting my number so you can text me the address. " you spoke, giving her a playful grin.
In that moment Joohyun had known she won you over and it was better than anything she'd gotten first place for before.