a lucky unlucky day | yeri

a lucky unlucky day by revelwrittenscenarios on tumblr

"Y/N, come on! You're pedaling so slowly!" Yeri's voice rang out in the courtyard. You ignored her, not wanting to fall and scrape a knee.

Yeri, the outspoken and carefree girl that everyone knew at your school, also your best friend, was currently teaching you how to ride a bike.

One would think that at your age you'd already know how to ride one. Yet here you were, trying very hard not to topple over.

When you had decided that it was finally time for you to get over this rite of passage, Yeri had volunteered to teach you and you had accepted gratefully. Now, you were beginning to regret that decision.

You had expected her to ease you into it, maybe show you a demonstration of how it was done before actually making you get on the bike.

But no. Instead she had simply helped you settle onto the seat, then had given you a big push forward. Somehow you'd managed to keep steady for a few moments, then had toppled into a wall. It was not fun.

By your tenth try, you'd learned how to stop properly and how to keep your balance. Still, you weren't going to risk it by going fast. You figured Yeri was getting tired of watching you go at a snail's pace, but because you were holding a bit of a grudge over her initial teachings, you weren't planning on listening to her.

"Y/N, seriously, go faster!" She called out.

"..."

"Y/N?"

"..."

"Why are you ignoring me?!" You turned your head to look at her.

"Don't you know you shouldn't push people into doing things they aren't ready for?" You shot back. Unconsciously, you pedaled faster.

"Oh, come on, Y/N. You learned, didn't you?"

"Hmph! I was lucky not to break my neck!"

Yeri scoffed.

"Don't exaggerate! You-" Her eyes widened, focusing on something over your shoulder.

"Y/N, watch out!" Because of your quarrel with Yeri, you had failed to pay attention to where you were going. As you turned to look forward, you found yourself face to face with the tall courtyard fence.

One moment you were upright, the next you were flat on your back, watching the clouds passing by in the sky.

"...Ow."

"Y/N? Y/N?!" You could hear a voice nearby and felt the pressure of somebody's hand on your arm. However, you couldn't seem to focus and you couldn't make out Yeri's face due to the black spots swimming across your vision.

You mumbled incoherently, but Yeri was able to catch the words "hurt," "head," and "ow" from your slurred speech.

After several unsuccessful attempts of trying to wake you out of your daze (and several moments of internally panicking), she decided to call your mother to let her know what had happened.

By the time she arrived, you'd managed to get up and walk around, although a bit clumsily. After Yeri had explained again what had occurred, your mother, not wanting to take any chances, insisted you go to the hospital.

"Mom...I'm fine...really..." You tried to change her mind. You really just wanted to lie down.

"Y/N, we're going. Get in the car, we're driving to the hospital." She answered sternly. With a sigh, you did as she said, getting in the backseat with Yeri, who unlike her usual self, was pretty quiet for the rest of the drive.

Several tests later, the doctor determined you had suffered a minor concussion due to the fall from your bike. You would need to remain at home for a few days to rest and recover.

While your mother finished up some necessary paperwork, both you and Yeri were in the waiting room, sitting side-by-side. The back of your head was still a bit sore, causing you to raise a hand to rub the tender area. You winced.

Yeri noticed this. She let out a breath and you turned to look at her curiously.

"Yeri, what's up with you? You've been quiet this whole time." You asked worriedly. She'd usually be chatting endlessly, telling you everything that was on her mind. Seeing her this quiet was just strange.

"I just...I feel like I'm responsible for what happened." Her answer surprised you. Yeri wasn't one to willingly admit responsibility.

"Hey, it's not your fault." You reassured her, "Besides, I'm perfectly fine!"

You stood up quickly, wanting to show her you were okay, but as soon as you were on your feet you felt a sudden wave of dizziness come over you. Thankfully, Yeri was able to steady you and sit you back down before you fell over.

"Yeah, perfectly fine." She said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. You scowled at her, wanting to appear at least slightly threatening.

Instead, Yeri let out a laugh.

"Oh, Y/N. Why are you so cute?" Her eyes widened at the words she had let slip. You felt your own widen as well.

You looked away, coughing awkwardly.

"Um...thanks?" Yeri bit her lip, seeming to be contemplating something.

"So, I was thinking, maybe I could make it up to you." She paused, "We could go out to eat your favorite food or something?"

You raised an eyebrow. "Really?" She nodded.

"Am I that cute?" You asked teasingly, nudging her shoulder.

"Shut up." She looked away. Not wanting to prolong her embarrassment, you agreed, but not before taking one last jab at her.

"Sure. It's a date then."

It had been two years since that day, and you and Yeri had now been together for a year and a half. You were both reminiscing about the events that had taken place on that day.

You sat across from each other, sharing a rather large serving of ice cream in your kitchen.

"You know, you're lucky I wasn't in my right mind that day." You joked. "Otherwise I probably would have said no."

Your statement earned you a smack from your girlfriend.

"Y/N, don't make me eat all this ice cream by myself. I'll do it." She warned. You smiled, taking an exaggerated bite of ice cream from your spoon.

Yeri tried to suppress her own smile, but you could see that her eyes were shining.

"You're lucky you're cute." She muttered, half-heartedly rolling her eyes, then took an equally exaggerated bite from her own spoon.

"I know." You quipped back, reaching out to take her hand in yours.

But I'm even luckier.