happy accidents | joy

happy accidents by revelwrittenscenes on tumblr

You were screwed. Today was the day you needed to get your present for the Secret Santa exchange your class had planned for the upcoming holidays. Something about getting into the spirit of Christmas, your teacher had said.

Anyway, your initial plan of getting a basic present for whoever's name you would draw, had turned into a quest to find the perfect present for your chosen classmate.

Of course, you hadn't expected to draw the piece of paper with Park Sooyoung's name on it.

Park Sooyoung, or Joy, as she went by, was the most gorgeous girl at your school, well, at least to you. And now you had to buy her a gift.

But what could you buy for the girl who had caused you to trip over your own feet for the past 2 years?

"Why am I overthinking this? It's not like she'll care what a nobody like me gets her." You muttered under your breath.

After spending a few hours at the mall looking, and looking, and looking again for the perfect present for Joy, you decided to take a break. Maybe get a warm drink. You could go for some hot chocolate right about now.

You made your way to the nearest coffee shop, hoping they'd be selling your desired drink. Sure enough, they were.

As you entered the store, you browsed the store's current holiday drinks; they all looked very appetizing. Maybe you would get something else instead of hot chocolate.

Unfortunately for you, you had not been paying attention to where you were going, and unfortunately for the other person you had walked into, they had been holding a cup of warm, recently-ordered coffee.

"Oh!"

"Wha-"

Before even determining who you had almost knocked over, you hastily tried to wipe the coffee from their already-stained clothes.

"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. I-"

Your words stopped abruptly after finally getting a good look at the person whose clothes you had ruined. The girl who was currently looking stunned by your clumsy entrance.

"J-Joy..."

It was Joy. Of all the people in the mall to run into, literally, of course it had to be her.

Why did the universe hate you?

"Y/N..." Joy said, still a bit surprised from being covered in coffee.

So, she did know your name, you thought happily.

But this was not the time to celebrate.

"I'm soo sorry!" You said pleadingly, "Joy, I didn't mean to, I'm sorry."

Joy finally seemed to snap out of her stupor, studying your worried features. Under her gaze, you felt yourself tense up. What would she do? Would she slap you? Would she yell?

With a deep breath, Joy quietly said, "Y/N, it's okay."

"No, it's not okay, Joy, I should have been paying attention to where I was going. I mean, now your clothes are ruined and it's all my fau-"

Joy put her hand up.

"Y/N, really, it's fine." She said, voice slightly louder. You shut your mouth, even though you wanted to continue apologizing. Joy looked at the damage her clothes had suffered, particularly her scarf which had suffered the most.

You couldn't let her walk around like this. Swiftly taking off your loose sweatshirt, you wordlessly held it out to her.

Joy looked at you with a curious expression, so you explained.

"You can't go walking around with coffee-stained clothes. Take my sweatshirt."

After a few seconds of silence, you could see the corner of her mouth quirk up. She took the piece of clothing with a grateful smile.

"Thanks. You didn't have to, you know."

"Don't worry. I want to." You responded without hesitation. "If there's anything else I can do..."

Where did all this courage suddenly come from, self?

To your surprise, she looked away from you, as if embarrassed. Is that a blush you saw?

Before you could figure out what it meant, she turned back to you, her teeth biting her bottom lip.

"Listen, I know we don't talk much," She said thoughtfully, "But I can tell you're a good person. Maybe we could grab something to eat sometime?"

You were shocked. This was...unexpected.

Maybe the universe wasn't completely against you.

"I'd like that." You managed to answer. "I'd really like that."

Joy smiled at your response.

"Well, I better go change." She turned to leave, then seeming to have forgotten something, turned back towards you.

"Since you mentioned it, there is something else you could do. This scarf," She motioned towards the ruined scarf around her neck, "is my favorite one."

With a playful look, she began walking away, calling over her shoulder, "I wouldn't mind getting a present from you this year."

You grinned from ear to ear, happy because you had managed to get closer to her.

And relieved because you now knew just the right present to bring to class tomorrow