Somewhere there's a rainbow

"Haan ammi I got it hum apna khayal rakh rahein hai and Dilli ki December toh aap ko patah hi hai na".

The girlish giggle made Arjun turn towards the voice from his table at his favourite cafeteria.

"Okay bye give my love to abbu and main thodi busy ho so won't be going to khala's place for sometime. Bye."

Noor sighed after hanging up the phone her blatant lie was so bitter that she could not even enjoy her blueberry pancakes, she looked up to see a pair of spectacled eyes looking at her. 

'Is staring at a girl the new normal?' She said sharply a little irritated.

Arjun was a little taken aback but somehow an alien confidence took charge of his body.

"My apologies miss, but is feeling Dilli ki December in Mumbai the new normal?"

To his surprise she broke into a smile the warm glint in her eyes seemed rather remotely familiar but he could not trace the familiarity.

Noor felt lighter after so many days looking at this stranger with a wide smile on his face. 

"Gryffindor or Slytherin?" his voice startled her.

She could not get it until she saw his eyebrows signalling at her sling bag with a Hogwarts batch. He could see a flicker of sadness in her eyes,

'its my sister's' she replied shortly.

He could make out that she was uncomfortable so he pulled a chair next to her. 

"Only lonely people eat breakfast at a cafeteria on a December morning." He said smiling.

'Lonelier people drink black coffee without sugar on a chilly December morning.' She retaliated pointing at his cup.

"So, girl in the new city?" He questioned casually taking a bite from her sandwich.

'Yep and you must be a born and brought up Bombay brat?' She looked cute taking a mouthful of the cheese sandwich.

"You guessed it right but the city feels so unfamiliar to me nowadays" he said pushing the thought of his dysfunctional family away for sometime.

"What brings you here miss..."

'Her highness princess Chocomati Devi' she replied quickly looking at her chocolate drink.

"Nice to meet you princess Chocomati Devi I am Coffee Nawaz." He lifted his coffee cup.

"Is there anything I can do for you my lady?" 

Noor was already impressed by his chivalry, fake or real, that was another issue.

'You have already done a lot Coffee Nawaz, gave me company for breakfast I should return the favour. Is there anything I can do although don't expect much from a girl who is still in that 'Dilli zone' Mumbai has still not grown on me.'

"Can you suggest me a gift for someone," he asked a little hesitant.

Noor felt a slight pang in the heart without thinking she said,

"Sure, girlfriend?" she regretted asking immediately.

'No, actually bhabi a new member in the family I haven't welcomed her properly'.

Noor scolded herself in her mind for this guy was sweeping her off her feet without even trying.

'Tell me something about her I will try to figure out.' She suggested industriously.

"Well, she is very beautiful inside and out, I feel like I always wanted a sister when I look at her and she is very poised and graceful."

In that moment at that not so crowded coffee shop filled with soft murmurs and mild aroma of baking cakes and coffee beans , these two strangers who did not even know each other's real name thought about the same person. Noor's thoughts drifted to her appi's warm smile that could light a room, her warm hugs that made Noor feel safe, the warmth of her lap when Noor rests her head and she whispers words of wisdom while stroking her hair gently. Arjun on the other hand remembered that stormy night when he thought he would lose his Bhai forever, cold and scared he reached her place a familiar warmth spread throughout his being. His reckless big brother who always acted like a bravado clung to her that stormy night like a little lost boy.

"I should leave," Noor broke the trance and left the cafeteria leaving a shocked Arjun.

"Take fresh white asters for her, she will feel like home."

Noor dashed out of the café without turning back, her appi loved those flowers,  her appi who was all alone in this city and she did not know whether to go and meet her or not.

Perhaps being Coffee Nawaz to this beautiful Chocomati Devi was one of the best things that had happened to Arjun ever since he came back from London after completing his studies. His Pooja bhabi passed away, he did not know Sakshi aunty's whereabouts, his mother was acting dramatic while his father and brother who never got along were acting like conspirators rather than normal businessmen. The only person he could relate to at the moment was Zoya and he decided to visit her. Before leaving he asked the café owner who knew him for a long time to inform him the next time Chocomati Devi paid a visit to the place.

A little sunshine from  ArNoor people next chapter will be the stormy AdiYa.