Together we can

It was one of the nights where the pain was a little more unbearable than other times. Jolts of current flowed through her body as her trembling hands reached her lower abdomen.

"Please stay with me baby you can't leave me this time."

She whispered under her breath as tears rolled down her cheeks. At that moment his large palms encircled her belly gently pressing her abdomen. His lips trailed over her neck and shoulder,

'hey, I am calling doctor Inayat, let her team decide how to ease this pain baby.'

His voice was dry without emotions, it had been her third month of pregnancy and Aditya and Zoya were facing the worst storm of their life. His ground was firm that if she continues to suffer in pain she will have to accept his decision regarding the unborn child. All hell had broken loose in their relationship with Zoya at one point even deciding to leave for Mussoorie with her family for she did not want to burden Aditya with the baggage of unwanted fatherhood. 

'Yes, I am selfish, a cold hearted ruthless man who does not want a child that can be the very cause of losing my life.'

He later regretted yelling at her as he sat there amidst the shattered glasses and pool of blood oozing from his hands with a mix of alcohol. When her trembling delicate self started attending his wounded hands, they both realised the hopelessness of the situation. A part of her wanted to shun her motherly instincts and let go of everything while nestling safely in the arms of the man who meant everything to her. At that moment the hardest realisation struck Aditya that his Zoya was glowing like never before. A part of him, a life was growing safely inside, epiphany struck him that it was not selfishness on her part but the selfless and endless  love that this woman felt for him that drove her to keep a part of him alive inside her even at the cost of risking her own life.  

The very next day he had brought her to Mussoorie her home town for a change of air.

He recalled all this as she constantly trembled in his arms making his heart pound violently on his chest.

'Aahhh Aadityya.. ' she cried out in pain clutching his shirt tightly.

'No...no need to call the doctor, just trust me on this one baby hand me the medicine kit.'

She instructed her husband as he wiped the beads of sweat from her forehead. He helped her with the medication and wrapped her in his arms, instinctively she placed his hands on her stomach.

Aditya could not recollect when did he fall asleep but he woke up to those chocolate coloured doe eyes staring back at him. 

"Your staring and it's creepy,"

He finally broke the silence making her break into her signature sunshine smile that was annoyingly potent enough to bring familiar warmth amongst gloom. 

'How come your eyes change colour, they are neither brown nor sea green'.

Her voice was barely a whisper as their nose touched her left hand clasping his right one. This was 'them' having the oddest conversation amidst grimness. Their warm breaths mingling with each other as they laid next to each other. 

"How are you feeling now?"

He suddenly broke the trance trying to get up in order to check on her but she placed her hand on his shoulder making him lie down in the same manner as earlier. Zoya moved her face an inch closer to his, placing her hand in between his neck and cheek gently stroking his ears, sending him into a trance as usual. 

'I told you na just stay with me everything will be fine. It was iron deficiency I increased my dose and everything is fine.'

She cooed planting a soft kiss on his lips while continuing with her ministrations.

"Zoya, can I ask you something?"

'Um hm'

"Is this child the most important thing in your life. Even more important than me?

She closed her eyes momentarily trembling at the movement of his adam's apple while questioning his wife.

'Aap jaante hai humara jawab Kya hai isi liye yeh sawaal Kar rahe hai. Janab Aditya Hooda aap se badhkar iss duniya mein humare liye kuch aur ho hi nahin sakti isi liye hum iss bachey ko khona nahin chahte.'

Before she could say further he hid his head on her breast but for the first time making sure not to crush her in his arms. She instinctively kissed his head,

"And will it make me a bad husband if I say I don't feel attached to our unborn child like you do?"

Zoya smiled at her husband's innocence, he was still hiding his face in the warmth of her chest.

'We never planned for a family Aditya in fact throughout our married life we hardly talked about having our kids although I always wanted one. It's perfectly normal to not feel attached it will take time.'

"I should have been more careful, no wonder your abbu hates me so much, I was somehow responsible for taking away your first child and now I am again responsible for giving you a child at the risk of your own life."

He crawled away from her lying on his stomach.

'We were careful Aditya but it somehow happened and I don't want to let go, we will be parents soon.'

She sighed lying on top of him, he shot up sensing water droplets dripping down his neck.

"Hey, baby I am so sorry for making you cry"

He immediately gathered her in his lap gently rocking as her sobs grew louder. They drowned each other in their kisses and tears, their bodies hungrily seeking for each other for the unification of their soul. As the blue light of the moon spilled through the windows of the bedroom, the same room that had witnessed a reckless wounded soul being tended by another damaged soul one thunderous night not too long ago.

(Last chapter will be up soon. Please let me know what you think.)