Chapter Twelve: Confusion

Eleven letters were found on the bridge four years ago, exactly one week before graduation.

Ten of those notes lost their owners. One survived, only to keep trying to die.

I have no idea what reality is. Truth, lies, a mass conspiracy, just a traumatized boy creating a fantasy in his mind where they didn't do it. Only being unable to actually send his soul to rest because he can't write over death.

I know I should believe in Ouma. I mean, I really should but I just can't. Not entirely, not with these.

I clutched the letters close to my chest, I has just stolen them from the police station. I mean borrowed.

My Uncle just happened to take me so he can pick up some case work...and I just happened to be left near the evidence room...and just accidentally grabbed them.

Ok I am a thief. Also a stalker I guess...I mean I did spy on Ouma once. I have sunk into dark depths.

I looked down at the envelopes in my hand. One was from Kiibo, I guess a copy they made along with the second one apparently from Otome.

Should I even read them? How will I even tell if their fake if I never even met most of these people?

Hopefully Akamatsu doesn't call the cops on me...I took a deep breath and called Akamatsu.

"Hey Akamatsu" I greeted when she picked up, "oh hi Saihara, did you need something?" She asked.

"Uhm...I need your help with something" I told her, "oh ok, is it homework?" She asked.

"Uh...not really...I'll text you my address" I admitted, "ok...kind of weird but ok" she pointed out.

"Sorry it's important though" I assured her, "see you soon then" Akamatsu said and ended the call.

No turning back now...

-/-/-

"YOU DID WHAT?!" Akamatsu screamed and and I quickly tried to keep her quiet.

"Shhh! Don't tell the whole town!" I pleaded with her, hoping my Uncle didn't hear.

"But you stole these!" She argued back and I sighed, "remember...that I'm trying to figure everything out...well this is a good clue" I defended myself.

"Uhm...I guess...so why did you need my help?" She asked and I felt uncomfortable a bit.

"You actually met these people...knew them for years...so I was hoping you could tell how authentic they are" I explained.

"Oh...I guess...we could ask Ouma though, he knew them a lot more than me" she brought up.

"We can't, I...I don't think Ouma wants to even talk to me right now" I admitted to her.

She seemed to understand as I grabbed the letters, "I guess pick one...I'll take Chiasa since I knew her better...you can take one of the other members..." I told her.

Hesitantly she grabbed one and opened it, I followed her lead.

Dear Everyone

I'm sorry.

Love,
Chiasa.

What?! That's it! It's only one sentence...but...I...if this is really all she wrote...and she really did...

"Saihara" Akamatsu suddenly gasped, "I...I know this sounds crazy...." She started.

"What?" I asked and turned over to her, she was shaking "I know this will sound weird...but I've seen these notes before..." she told me and my eyes widened.

"What?" I asked and she took a deep breath, "it was once...in the summer...I went on a family trip and...I saw Takura Danuja...one of the members trying to...you know" and my eyes widened.

"I just grabbed him and pinned him down asking what the hell he was doing" She recalled.

-5 Years Ago-

"I'm going to go to the souvenir stand" I told my parents running off towards the stands.

It was late and mostly deserted now except for employees...when I heard someone crying...

"H-hello?" I greeted and turned the corner to see Takura on the cliff with their shoes off and a note at their feet.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I screamed and they turned around and met my eyes before falling forward.

Quickly I ran up and grabbed them before they fell off the cliff side and grabbed them tightly.

"STOP IT! P-Please...I...I don't" Takura stuttered, their cries stiffling them, "I...I don't" he said and I just gripped tighter.

"I'm not, I'm not going to..." I told him, "hey...why did you do that?" I asked and he just sobbed.

"I'm worthless...all I do is hurt my friends...and I'm fat...and not good enough...my parents hate me and they should cause I keep gaining weight even when I starve myself I'm still not good enough!" He screamed.

"I don't deserve to live if it makes everyone else in the world suffer! So please...just let me die..." he begged.

I didn't know how to respond.
I didn't have to.

"Takura?! Takura where are you?!" I heard someone calling when I saw another of the DICE members, Genkei.

"FINALLY! There you are you made me worried sick!" He screamed and then seemed to take in the scene.

"Wait...don't tell me..." Genkei started barely a whisper before I let Takura go.

"Why...?" Genkei asked and Takura didn't meet his eyes. The two didn't say anything for a while and I felt awkward.

"Don't you ever try that again" Genkei said, "b-but" Takura started, "you heard me, come on" Genkei said grabbing onto him.

"W-what?" Takura asked, "we're going to watch so many dumb comedy movies and hang out so much till I can finally get it through your skull that I need you" Genkei said.

Takura didn't say anything and Genkei glanced back at me, "hey...thanks" he thanked.

I shifted uncomfortable, "uh...no problem..." I told him.

The two walked away and I could hear some arguments.

By the time I saw them again at school everything seemed ok...I didn't ask them about that day. I was scared of what would happen to him.

Later they both died, and I guess that only left unanswered questions.

-/-/-

"I kept that note for a while and eventually gave it to Genkei...thing is this is that exact same note..." she told me and my eyes widened.

Wait...the notes may not be forged entirely...but with the assumption Takura didn't reuse the same one....

Those weren't left behind by DICE that day. Ouma's story finally has some evidence.