Epilogue

I walked into the apartment building, trying to show confidence with my every step.

I was pursing a mass serial killer, known for his ruthless methods for torturing and killing his victims.

They even compared them to the new Themis, which had shut down a few months ago after their head was killed by the same murderer I was now tailing.

It was horribly ironic. I felt my pistol by my side as I knocked on the door and it swung open, they didn't have to see me to know.

They never did.

Dressed in street clothes with a checkered hankerchief tied around their wrist, and vibrant purple hair and eyes was my soulmate.

And the criminal I was sent to come arrest.

Kokichi Ouma.

"Hey hot stuff what took you so long" Kokichi joked, "you better not be Harukawa or I swear I'm jumping off the building" He threatened.

"Hi Kokichi" I greeted and I saw him smile, "oh so it is my favorite detective~" he sang out each syllable.

"How many years has it been? Four? Hows your twenties mine have been pretty eventful" Kokichi asked jokingly.

He knew why I was here.

And just like me he was trying to avoid it. I went over and sat on the couch next to him, shutting the door tightly behind me.

"You know why I'm here don't you?" I asked and Kokichi didn't respond for a while, "is it cause I was late to our first date?" He asked.

"No. Kokichi you know why" I said seriously and all the joking matter disappeared from his face.

"I know, but I can wish can't I?" He asked, "yeah you can...I did too...I always wanted this...just you and me sitting together...without this conversation" I confessed.

"Well we don't have to have this conversation, we can always just have a date" Kokichi suggested. I didn't respond for a while.

"Themis was shut down months ago...so why are you still killing?" I asked. He squirmed around in his seat.

"Have you ever had an undying rage Shuichi? That darkest part that wanted people to suffer just like you have...and you keep feeding that urge....and no matter how hard you try it's never enough? That thirst is never satisfied? Maybe because you know that deep down it never can go back the way you wanted it...

"But you still try despite that" Kokichi admitted, his voice empty of all compassion or empathy, "and it's demanding more and more blood...and it won't ever stop" he concluded.

"Sorry Sushi" he apologized.

"And your methods? For the same reason?" I asked. Kokichi just nodded sipping on a drink I never even noticed he had grabbed.

"Are you still addicted to that?" I asked, "panta is my emotional support" Kokichi grinned sipping further.

"What are you going to do?" I asked, "you know that even if the police isn't involved with Themis anymore you're still wanted" I told him.

"The first case we would have gone away with, could have played it liks it was self defense...afterwards...we would have to be lucky if we wanted to live a normal life" I brought up.

"Sorry Shuichi...so are you here to bring me to jail?" He asked, "no I came to tell you about a certain promise we made before your amazing escape" I reminded.

Kokichi went tense before taking a deep breath, "well glad you're keeping to your word...go ahead I'm ready" he said.

"I'm not going to, Kokichi you still aren't and will never be your father...you don't kill for pleasure you do it because you think it can ease pain...I'm not proud of how you dealt with that paun but over the years what could I have expected? I just wanted you to know that" I told him.

Kokichi just let his head rest on my shoulder.

"So the I'm dead thing blew over?" He asked, "unfortunately yes, we have evidence proving you're alive and no matter how hard I tried to protect you they found it...I guess we have a few weeks before they find out where exactly you are" I admitted bitterly.

"So what do we do? Do we make a run for it?" Kokichi asked, "that's what I planned...but there's hurricanes all around Japan, no airplanes can get out for weeks" I told him.

"F*ck" Kokichi muttered, "I already dismissed everyone so at least we don't have to worry about the rest of the organization" he told me.

I nodded, "the rest of them are fine it's just you I'm worried about" I confirmed as I felt him squeeze my hand.

"Is this some sort if twisted story Shuichi...? Are we going to get that cheesy happy ending by the end of it?" He asked.

"I don't know..." I answered. Kokichi didn't respond, I felt like he knew that already.

"I got another idea...it's foolproof" Kokichi muttered, "I don't really like it though..." he confessed.

"But if you're up for it...I'll do it with you" he offered. I looked into those eyes, how often had they changed before me?

How lucky was I able to see those eyes?

"Maybe...you in with me?" I asked, "nah I can't abandon panta chan" Kokichi joked standing up as he headed over to his kitchen drawing it.

"Is that your famous words?" I asked, "no...what about...I love you Saihara chan" Kokichi said while smiling pulling it closer. I did the exact same.

"You sure this has to be it though?" Kokichi asked, "don't you think I would have tried any other way?" I asked.

"Well then Shuichi...bye" Kokichi told me, "bye Kokichi" I told him. Kokichi then paused before looking at me and grabbing the gun.

....
...
..
...
...
....
..
"I don't want this...Shuichi...we're going to play hide and seek...only you're never going to find me" he mumbled.

"Goodbye..." Kokichi said and before I could even say anything the world went black.

....
...
...
..

I never saw him again. Exactly as he said. The murders stopped at least. I didn't receive any more notes from him.

Just quiet. If he died I never knew. I hope he did live. Somewhere. Even if I didn't get to be with him.