Chapter Twenty Four: Leaving The Nest

"You know it's nice to have an explanation as to why you came in the middle of the night" Akamatsu taunted.

"Yeah I know, I'm sorry" I apologized. I didn't tell Ouma I got kicked out yesterday, I still don't know what to do.

Can I even go to school? I already had a bunch of missed calls from my Uncle. That was great.

"Can you explain later at least? I don't like being kept in the dark anymore. You've been so distant lately" she admitted.

"I know and I'm sorry it's just...a lot of dangerous stuff right now" I tried to explain.

"I have to do something before school, see you in a bit" I called leaving her house and just walking on the streets.

I don't know whether or not I should tell Akamatsu about Themis.

They might kill her if I do. They killed Kiibo and he never knew either and the substitute was still out there. Still it's good knowing Ouma isn't shutting me out anymore.

Maybe if we work together I can somehow change this town and eventually stop Themis. I don't know how or when but that's what I want.

It's the right thing to do after all.

Ouma seemed to have taken all the information about Themis...sort of well. He's changed a lot.

He talks a lot more clearly, not having a stutter and it's not as hoarse so he must have been talking more often. Maybe to Harukawa?

And he seems to have put up more walls than before. I can't blame him, I'm just glad he took some down and allowed me to be in his life again.

And I saw his leg. It's Kiibo's. And that disturbs me to be honest. Why did Ouma even agree to get that on? I didn't bother to mention it when I first saw it.

I decided it should be for a later day. And he acts very much in contrast at school, he plays a statue. He doesn't react or speak at all- but clearly he can.

Is it resentment? Towards the class. I'm a bit mad at them too. They did leave him to me to start with when Momota left.

I wonder how Momota is doing.

I wonder if Harukawa can tell me where he is so I can get in contact? Ask him how he's been doing and if he's coming back.

Still...I can't believe I actually did it...I told Ouma that I loved him. Something tells me it was a bit rushed.

Probably is since before that he would always kick me out of whatever conversation I would try to have with him.

Ouma never told me if he felt the same. So I guess I'll just wait. I can be fine if we are just friends for awhile.

And maybe later...who knows.

I decided to head back to my Uncle's if only to pack my stuff or plead my case one more time when I saw my Aunt waiting at the front.

"Good, finally I've been waiting all morning" she teased. She had a suitcase next to her and was gripping tightly an envelope.

"What's that?" I asked, "an envelope" she joked handing it over and taking a swig of a drink. Probably alchohal.

I looked at the label, all it said was Future and I peeked inside.

Inside was money. And I mean a lot of money. My eyes widened at the sight of how much was stuffed into the envelope. It was so much it was bulging.

"What's this?" I repeated, "Chiasa's college money" My Aunt said looking off to the distance, "or half...gonna make up to the kid and give him the other half...he probably doesn't have a lot in savings" she muttered.

"Why?" I asked, I already knew Chiasa would die before college was ever a thing. It was always a fact...we all knew she wouldn't be here for long.

All except for her. Or maybe she did and she put on a brave face. I guess I won't ever really know.

"Well as of right now bucko me and your uncle had a little argument about whether or not you can go do...whatever" she grunted.

"And your father is like 'well don't take him off his first case and the years already almost over let him graduate'" she explained doing awkard hand gestures.

"So consider yourself an adult because now it's time to put on the big boy pants and get an apartment...I got a guy down the street who I used to go out for some pretty good bento ask him tell him I sent you he owes me for game night last week" she advised.

"Wow...thanks Aunt Jin" I said as she nodded, "you can send me be sending me a dollar Christmas card, now get outta here and get your butt to school"