Chapter Eighteen: Lost Souls

"Themis? Like the name of the school?" I asked and my Uncle sighed, "sit down kid it's a long story..."

"A long time ago the world had fallen. Everyone referred to this time as the tragedy.

"In the midst of all that destruction was Junko Enoshima who led and started this era of darkness.

"She along with others started killing games, influenced others for massacres, and turned the world into an unrecognisable place.

"Finally Makoto Naegi saved the world and reinstated hope but after he died the world was lost.

"Paranoid of another tragedy the group Themis formed.

"People with the sole belief of true peace would only come with eliminating malice and evil at the roots.

"Children.

"For nearly fifty years they've slaughtered countless of children with the villian system. However the world started to turn against the group.

"Themis was stronger than ever imagined however, they developed nuclear weapons and kept the world under their thumb with the threat of starting nuclear war.

"A war that would take us back where we started. A war that would take countless lives. A return of despair only this time no true hope would save it.

"So the world obliged. Only a select handful know about Themis, not even your Father.

"I was only allowed to know because of the fact I investigated- do you honestly believe I would think my cheerful daughter would commit suicide? Those children who I saw grow up and play would do such a thing?

"I call on that bull sh*t. So I pursued this as a murder and I eventually discovered Themis.

"When they held me at gunpoint. They explained their plans if I revealed them once again to the world.

"I couldn't do it. I in fear decided to sacrifice the few for the many. I allowed for your cousin's memory to be tarnished- for that boy I saw once as a son to be abused.

"All so we could live. But I grew restless and I decided to once again take action.

"I sent for you, my dear nephew. A wild card. To think you made it this far on your first case...it would have made your Mother so proud.

"Unfortunately Themis was smarter and far more cunning. They approached me and made a deal.

"I could tell you the truth, send you away and allow this cycle to continue on forever.

"Or I could let us both die. For nothing. Don't you understand Shuichi? Do you understand the kind of crisis we are in?

"It was never about just a simple corrupted town! It was never about a single murderer! You're dealing with an orginization that exists all throughout the world.

"An orginization with a single button could throw us into peril, do you understand Shuichi? What I had to sacrifice my pride for? My morality for?

"All so you and countless others could live. Think of this as a game of chess, only our side has only pawns against queens.

"The likely hood we could checkmate at such immposible odds? Shuichi...I am so sorry I brought you in this.

"I'm sorry I cannot allow you to do the right thing, to bring your dear friend closure.

"Whatever you do after this, knowing the truth of my cowardace is up to you. Whatever that future may lead you I offer my condolences.

"But I won't ever stop trying to stop you Shuichi. I owe it to your Mother to protect her son from death.

"Choose your future Shuichi...if anyone could ever checkmate this impossible game...

"It will be you. But not now. Maybe one day."