16

LEAH

Jarrod's final condition clanged through my mind on repeat. I couldn't decipher if the voice in my head was warning me or seducing me, which was probably problematic in itself.

You belong to me and me alone.

The possessive glint in his eyes set off a chain of fireworks in my stomach. I had never thought of belonging to someone. It sounded patriarchal and dominating, which logically warned me that his proposition was dangerous. No one should be owned by anyone but themselves.

But I couldn't deny the flutter in my pulse and catch in my breath when I imagined giving myself to this man. I'd never been with anyone who wanted me so much and it terrified me.

Was this one of those explosive flames that burned hotly only for a moment and then fizzled out?

I already felt so attached to Jarrod. After losing Danny, I didn't know how I would handle being left again.

Then, there was the possibility that our chemistry and the comfort he brought me were signs of something real and enduring. Could the rules he laid actually become the foundation for a strong, committed relationship?

I was afraid to give in to him, but I was also afraid to let him go.

To say the least, this conversation did not go how I expected. If anything, I thought he would be done with me after the drama that erupted Friday night.

Yet, here we were. Despite his exhaustion, he prioritized me. The first thing he did upon return was seek me out. He genuinely cared about me.

What else could I possibly want from him?

Cradling the mug between my palms, I took a long sip from the latte to further stall. I wanted to look up into Jarrod's beautiful bronze eyes but they intimidated me. They showed his emotions rather plainly, whether it be pleasure or disapproval. I didn't want that to sway my decision.

"What about my conditions scare you?" he asked, patient and thoughtful as ever.

I chewed on the inside of my cheek as I met his gaze. His eyes were intense but gentle. He wasn't pushing me; he just wanted to understand me.

"Commitment just feels like a lot right now," I admitted. "I want to trust you, Jarrod. I really, really like you. But I also feel fragile."

He studied me for a moment before pushing his coffee away. "Why don't we take a walk? I think fresh air might help."

Nodding eagerly, I followed him out of the cafe.
I snuck an appreciative glance over his backside as he held the door open for me.

His dark jeans hugged his sculpted thighs and spectacular ass. My fingers itched to smack it, but I managed to control myself. I followed the frame of his body up to his tapered torso. His expansive shoulders rippled under his collared shirt. A faint whiff of subtle but masculine cologne trailed behind him, further spurning my desire.

"See something you like, Miss Harris?"

Ducking my face, I scurried after him. His throaty chuckle reverberated through me as he wrapped an arm around my waist. I felt instantly safer in his strong hold.

As we walked and the buildings around us parted, a bitter wind raced down the street. I shivered and snuggled deeper into his side. In hindsight, a coat might have been a good idea, but this gave me the perfect excuse to cling to him.

"Are you looking forward to Christmas?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said with a shrug. "I like the festive spirit and holiday traditions as much as the next person. What about you?"