26

LEAH

A shrill ring startled me out of my blissful snooze. I tried slapping my phone screen a few times but the alarm wasn't turning off like usual.

Huffing, I sat up and snatched my phone from the end table, only to discover it wasn't my phone making the noise.

The ring sounded again. Oh! It was the doorbell.

Then I frowned. Who was knocking on my door this early on a Saturday? No one who loved me, clearly.

Yawning, I slid off the bed and threw on my kimono as I padded toward the front door. A sensual soreness lingered in my thighs and pelvis, a stark reminder of how hard Jarrod railed me last night.

I swung the door open and my petulant frown melted the moment I saw Danny. His eyes skated up and down my body before settling on mine.

"I woke you up," he realized.

"Uh, yeah." Clearing my throat, I stepped aside and motioned for him to enter. "Come in. I'll grab your jacket."

He obliged and I hurried to my bedroom to snatch the garment off the floor, where I may have stomped and cursed at it. Just because he did a good deed and helped me didn't mean I was ready to forgive all the bullshit he put me through.

I was really good at making mistakes but getting back with him wasn't one I'd ever make again.

"Here you go," I said, finding him standing at the fireplace, squinting at a photo.

"Thanks." He took it, looked at me, and then looked away. His cheeks flushed slightly, almost indiscernible with his tan complexion.

"Is there anything else . . . ?" I asked. My fingers nervously tangled and untangled, a pit growing in my stomach.

He rubbed his jaw thoughtfully. "No."

After being with him so long, I could tell he had something on his mind, but I decided to go along with his dismissal. I had a sneaking suspicion I wouldn't like whatever was going through his head.

I walked him to the door and moved to open it, but he stopped me, reaching over my head to place his hand on the door.

"Leah, wait." He sighed.

My anxiety spiked by about 500%. Gulping, I blanked my face and looked at him. He studied my face but said nothing.

"What?" I said, feeling at my cheeks self-consciously. Maybe I had drool on my face?

Before he could say anything, a knock sounded on the door. I jumped and then narrowed my eyes.

"Busy house this morning," he grumbled behind me.

I rose onto my tiptoes to peek through the peephole. My stomach dropped to my ankles. Jarrod stood on the stoop, nibbling on his lips and rubbing his hands together.

"Shit," I hissed.

What the hell was he doing here?

"Who is it?" Danny asked, trying to peek through the hole.

I batted him away and focused on keeping myself calm. If the gym incident was any indication, this would not go well. Jarrod was going to freak the fuck out when he learned Danny was here.