54

LEAH

Why is he looking at me like that? I wondered.

Jarrod was grinning like a fool as he approached me. My heartbeat picked up until I felt breathless, like I was flat out sprinting.

Am I nervous? Why am I nervous?

I looked down and realized I was laying on my side, completely naked. My hand was patting the comforter beside me.

Jarrod reached the bed and stroked a hand softly down my face. My eyes fluttered. I groaned with a raspy breath.

His fingers trail down my cheek to my collarbone to my breast, where he circled my pink bud. My skin puckered under his touch.

I jerked awake, flying up into a sitting position. My lungs flailed for air while I searched the room for Jarrod and grabbed at my body, feeling for bare skin.

Thankfully, I was still wearing the suffocatingly tight dress from last night.

However, an arm that did not belong to me was slung around my hips. I stared down at the lump under the bedding while I tried to remember who the hell was in my bed.

Oh, god. Did I sleep with Jarrod last night? Hookup with a stranger? Why couldn't I remember anything after speed dating?

Peeling back the bedding, relief flooded me. The arm was pearly white, slender, and without any trace of hair. Definitely female, and definitely Isabelle.

My pulse slowed a little when I recognized Isabelle's tell-tale complexion. Sagging against the headboard, I took a long breath to calm my lingering edge.

I wouldn't have slept with Jarrod anyway. He wasn't good for me. Even drunk-me I understood this.

So why was I a little disappointed that it was my best friend in my bed and not my kinda-sorta-ex? I was apparently having wet dreams about him too.

Whatever. While a sexy man would've been a pleasant surprise, I knew I wasn't ready to jump anything so fast again.

Just look where that got me last time.

A surge of bile then decided to yeet up my throat. Shoving off the covers, I crawled to the end of the bed and fell onto the floor.

"Oh no," I grumbled.

The bile seeped into my mouth and coated my tongue in a heinous flavor. I barely had the strength to drag myself to the toilet in time to spew burning acid from somewhere deep inside.

Once the vomiting ended, I flushed the toilet and watched the discolored water swirl down into Wonderland. I fought to catch my breath and calm the turbulent tide that was my stomach.

However, just moments later, the nausea hit me again with full force. I should have known my misery wasn't over.

I was still dry heaving when Isabelle wandered in. "What the hell?"

Groaning, I sat back on my heels and wiped my mouth. This fucking sucks. I want to die.

"You alive?" Isabelle prodded, examining me like I was an alien.

I winced as a headache lanced through the left side of my brain. "Yep. Barely, but yes."

My knees cracked and my thighs quivered as I stood up. I tried to remember what would've made me this sore, but last night was mostly hazy after that absurd dating event.

Hobbling over to the sink, I scrubbed the sticky makeup off my face from last night and any lingering traces of Smirnoff from my tongue. My haggard reflection scrutinized the clothes hanging onto me by threads.