17

JARROD

This was going to be the night—the time I caught my darling little Leah in my clutches. She would agree to my conditions and our love story would officially begin.

Although she still had some reservations about commitment, I could tell our attraction and chemistry were mutual. There was nothing to be forced here. We simply needed to agree on expectations.

As I finished buttoning my sleeves, I glanced over my reflection once more. I looked noticeably happier and more energetic now than I had all weekend. She was like a drug that got me high on life and all its possibilities.

I grabbed my phone, wallet, and keys and headed down to the parking garage of my building. Although we could have spent all evening getting more familiar between my sheets, I couldn't deny I was excited to see her dressed up.

I meant what I told her, too. This had never been just about fucking for me. Our incredible sex was just the cherry on top of everything else.

Soon, I was en route to her house to pick her up. I was also excited to see where she lived, which would assuage some of my worries for her well-being. While she seemed to take good care of herself, aside from her drinking habits, and I was sure she lived somewhere nice, it was important for me to know she was safe.

If I had any reservations about her neighborhood, I would ensure to make moving her elsewhere a point of negotiation. I didn't care if that made me crazy. I couldn't rest knowing she was in danger—even if that meant moving her in with me this early.

That sounded fucking wonderful, actually.

The drive to her house took just under twenty minutes. Her neighborhood was very suburban and a bit older, but the homes were all well-maintained and the streets were clean. I parked behind her Mercedes and walked up to the door, taking everything in as I went.

Her house was a one-story cottage with a cobbled stone exterior and rounded black front door. There were three steps up to a small porch, which she'd decorated with rocking chairs, planters with shrubs, and a wreath of twigs and spritzes of baby's breath on the door. The space felt cozy and personal.

As soon as I knocked, a crashing noise sounded from deep inside the home, followed by a curse. I chuckled to myself.

"Coming!" she shouted.

There was shuffling and muttering before the lock turned and the door flew open. Leah poked her head out, flashing me a smile.

Her eyes looked especially green under the stripes of eyeliner and splash of color on her eyelids. Those lips I'd been fantasizing about all afternoon were painted a dusty pink color. The rest of her body was concealed behind the door.

She scanned my outfit, her pupils widening and lips parting with lust.

"You look handsome," she said. "I mean, you always do, but damn."

My smile was smug. "Thanks, baby. I got all dolled up just for you."

She stepped back and opened the door. "Come in. I'm almost finished getting ready. You're early, by the way."

"If you're not early, you're late," I said, following her inside.

"I've never understood that saying. What's the point in even setting a time?"