O26 - ending

‍ ‍ ‍"WHEN THE LIGHT LEAVES, i cling to the thought of your face, that somehow, will always keep me sane. i try to remember the way your eyes used to crinkle when you smiled at me and how your fingers would always tuck themselves into mine. it was my favorite thing about being with you. we never talked about our pasts or what it meant for us. all we ever knew was that we were there, together in our own small world, and nothing would take away the feeling of warmth that came from knowing someone like you was there to hold me. you are such a good friend. sometimes, i wonder why you even bother to be around with me. do you realize how much you've done for me, that you even risked your life because of me? do you know how much this feels like a dream? it broke me when i witnessed the light in your eyes slowly fades away." —H.R

RAN

‍ ‍ ‍the sun had set hours ago, and still the city was alive with lights and the sounds of music. the air outside was cool from the recent snowfall that had coated the sidewalks and streets, leaving them slick enough for people to slip as they walked or ride their bicycles along the streetcars that would take anyone anywhere in the city. people were enjoying this rare moment of peace, enjoying this quiet hour before dawn when it was still light out, and the city went back to normal when everyone else went to bed. it was a peaceful time of year, when the world around them seemed almost peaceful and peaceful was a good way to describe what happened next.

‍ ‍ ‍there wasn't any moon in the sky tonight, but the stars were still shining brightly, and the streetlights provided some lighting. it was a perfect night for stargazing, a perfect opportunity to view the shining stars. there were thousands upon thousands of constellations above the city, which glowed like glowing embers in the blackness. a perfect time for anyone, except me. i stood alone under the cover of darkness, staring at the night sky through the window, the room lit only by dim lights emanating from various sources, including the lamp next on the hospital bed. everything looked small through the window, a tiny speck in the middle of a large city. it felt like a tiny island in a big ocean, surrounded by millions of others like it, yet lonely on its own in the darkness. it felt so isolated, despite being surrounded by everything in the universe.

‍ ‍ ‍"they won't be happy seing you in a state like this." a monotone voice filled the quite room, followed by a sudden flash of bright light illuminating the otherwise darkened room. the light caused my pupils to dilate momentarily before returning to normal, as the brightness slowly vanished. it was then i saw the woman standing in the doorway, her hands clasped together tightly, worry clear in her eyes. she is beautiful, breathtakingly so, with long flowing locks of black hair cascading down her back and shoulders, her brown iris shining brightly against her pale skin as if she doesn't have any blood inside her. "how so cruel to rate the great game of fate. it is a shame that one could never live their life to its fullest. such a pity," her tone was soft, yet cold as ice. her words echoed in the empty room, her words carrying the weight of a thousand words and more. her eyes held sympathy for my plight, an emotion which was not present in those of many other people. "the universe has planned so many things for you. how can you ever win against such odds?" she questioned.

‍ ‍ ‍i shook my head lightly, looking up at her with eyes full of regret. "you will never be successful if your actions do not reflect your true nature. we are doomed to fail. we will never win. no matter what we do, no matter where we run, our life will end." my voice was barely audible, barely above a whisper, as if i am afraid someone would hear me. a feeling of helplessness overcame me.

‍ ‍ ‍"no one knows what is truly right. you cannot know what will happen unless you let the dice fall where they may." the female stepped forward, closing the distance between us. "you should rest now, for tomorrow you will begin anew."