Stone Cold

Barry's POV.

As planned Barry showed up at the lovers picnic. He came with Martha 'to help carry all the food and decorate.' He did indeed help out, but in reality he and Martha only created that as an excuse. At about eleven Barry and Martha went to the park to get ready.

With no one seeing, Barry used his speed to set all the picnic tables up and putting tablecloths on them. He then hung pink and red paper heart garlands all around the vicinity on posts. After he finished his work didn't go unobserved. Martha was a tad suspicious at how fast the job had been done, but ignored it. Soon two rolled around.

Everyone showed up with all different types of food and games were set up for couples all around. Barry stood around talking to Mr. and Mrs. Walker's sons and daughters who were about his age and some older. the middle son, Peter, was in his late twenties and had a wife. He and Barry got along very well and were soon competing in a hotdog eating contest along with some others.

Barry was hesitant to enter, but after some prodding from Martha and the Walker's he gave in. Obviously he won due to his super fast metabolism. No one could believe that a man as slim as he was could eat over twenty hotdogs. Once he was finished Martha and the Walker's came over to him.

"I haven't seen anybody down hotdogs like that since. . .well since that son of yours beat old Bill." Liam said to both Barry and Martha.

Martha gave a seemingly nervous chuckle.

"How'd you do that boy?" He asked Barry.

Shrugging he acted clueless. "I've been running. A lot. I guess."

Martha gave him a doubtful look.

"Well, whatever you've been doin' son, it's given you a kind of super power." He joked.

Barry chuckled. "Yeah. Guess so."

Just then Mrs. Kent looked behind him and then made direct eye contact with him. She flickered her eyes behind him with a slight nod. He gave her an 'got it' look. Martha looked back away from him and walked past their group.

"Ella, honey! I'm glad you could make it!"

"You know I couldn't miss the picnic, Martha."
He heard her happy voice respond.

"Hello, Greg. It's nice to see you here too. Did your parents come?"

"No. I'm afraid they didn't. Mom's not feeling well and Dad thought it best if he stayed home to give her company." The man named Greg answered.

"Oh. I hope it's nothing serious." Martha said.

"Oh no. Nothing serious just a case of the flu. She'll be well soon."

"I'm glad. Well, come on Ella you have to try some of my homemade ice cream and tell me what you think." Martha started leading Ella away.

"Alright. C'mon Greg."

"Actually they could use some help with the tug of war. Would you mind heading over there?" Martha asked.

"Sure. I'll see you two later."

Barry prepared to see Ella again. He knew she would not be happy.

As Martha led Ella past their group to the desert table he waited for her to take notice, but no. She was looking at her phone as she past and didn't see him.

He tried to pay attention to whatever Carol Walker was saying, but he was too distracted by Ella's presence. She was eating ice-cream from a small bowl and laughing at something Mrs. Kent had said. Her smile was like a ray of sunshine and her voice like music.