You Belong To Me

Ella walked into the town square with Greg. She wore a dark pink lace floral dress with a black sash.

Lanterns and other valentine decorations hung all around

Lanterns and other valentine decorations hung all around. It was almost fairytale-like. Soft music played from speakers. All the beautiful romantic songs from long ago filled the air. Small round tables with a single candle in the center and rose petals were scattered around, were placed around in different places away from the dancing area.

Ella couldn't help glancing around for Barry. She didn't see him anywhere. Had he left after how she had been with him at the picnic? She scolded herself for feeling sad. It was what she had wanted wasn't it? She had told him to go home and he did. Why was she upset?

"Hey, Ella?" She heard Greg say.

She looked up forcing a smile."Hmm?"

"Wanna dance?"

She looked over to see some couples dancing. The song that played was Only You by the Platters. She took Greg's offered hand and was lead to where everyone was dancing. He held her hand in his left and held her waist with his right. They danced slowly to the music. Surprisingly he was a very good dancer unlike Ella. It made her a bit nervous when he twirled her. She didn't want to step on his feet.

After a bit she started to observe the man she was dancing with. He had dirty blond hair and blue eyes. He was about 6'2 and had a muscular built, which was understandable since he helped work his family farm. Most of the people around Smallville were farmers. He had a nice smile and a kind face. He was a gentleman and always treated her perfectly. He had somewhat of a country accent since he grew up in Kansas.

She was a very lucky girl to have found a man like him, but still even then she felt. . .empty. Like she was missing something or someone. And she knew who.

Ella glanced away from Greg and looked around them. Barry was still no where to be found. She sighed inwardly. It was her own fault. She was the one who told him to leave and who avoided him all day. Maybe this was a good thing? Maybe this was how it was supposed to be. Now she could move on completely and he could go on with his life.

Why did she feel so disappointed and melancholy? She should be happy he was gone, but she wasn't. Why? She was supposed to angry with him, yet her anger seemed to disparate more and more.

An hour or so later Ella wasn't exactly feeling in the mood for dancing anymore. Her fallen mood had begun to concern her boyfriend.

"Ella, are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just. . .I have a headache." She lied.

"I can walk you back to your apartment if you want."

"No. No. I'll be fine. Just. . .don't worry."

Another song began to play. Can't Help Falling Inlove. The words made her heart ache. It was true. She could never help falling for Barry even a year after they had broken up, she still loved him. She wanted to slap herself. She couldn't love him. Not anymore. No she cared for him that's all.