4.Trust and a leap of faith

Nicholae prayed to God for the second time in his life. He wondered why he even bothered with that sometimes. But a time like this, in this situation he found himself in was one in, he required divine intervention.

He should have listened to the voice in his head and gone to see Niko first after he returned from the human realm. Then the boy wouldn't have had to seek him out.
Now here Niko was, a quivering mess clinging on to him. If they managed to get out of this alive-highly unlikely, but if they did, Nicholae would wring the breath out of his son himself.
Now more than ever he wished the boy had taken after his mother. She had been wiser; a total opposite of what Nicholae had discovered himself to be.

And on the case of voices, he'd swore he'd been hearing voices here. Nicholae wasn't going to say anything, no, definitely not. People liked to think he was crazy anyways. And now Osei had jumped on that band wagon.

'There are certain sacrifices to be made. And then there are trade offs. And if you're willing to listen to me you'll see that I'm not telling you that that's the only option.'
Semi moved to Osei's side and entwined their fingers. Remarkably, the tension rolling off Osei in waves, disappeared. Semi must have that calming effect on him.

'Cowardly move bringing your son here.' Cayden mercilessly taunted.

Nicholae's gaze turned murderous. He'd tolerate a lot of injustices towards himself in the name of co-operation. But he would never tolerate any accusation that he'd rather sacrifice his son to protect himself.m, that he'd ever sacrifice anyone to save himself.

For his son's sake he avoided looking at Cayden any further.

'I also know you're practically living on borrowed time. If I know this already, think about how many people are privy to this piece of information. Have you wondered why attacks on you and your wolves have increased?'
He paused dramatically. His words and meaning needed to sink into these thick wolf skulls.

'Someone wants you gone. I can help you and I need you to help me help you.'

Semi pleading eyes sought Osei's hard ones.
At the sound of someone else having the answers to saving her mate, Semi was willing to listen, regardless of his history.

'We already took care of the problem.' Osei said defensively.

'I don't think so.' Nicholae contracted.
'Didn't you ever wonder how mere humans were able to stumble upon such vital information about you? Secrets that were hidden from you until recently.'

'You said you can help him.' Semi interrupted.
Nicholae could see, just from the look in her eyes, the depth of love she had for the Alpha.

'The witches of the Tchkovsky house are powerful. They have ancient books of magic to enrich their minds and boost their power. I'll open my libraries to you and lend you my witches in good graces, even though you just threatened my life just a second ago.'

Osei looked nonchalant about the whole offer and casual reminder of the death threat he'd made to an heir of House Tchkovsky.
Semi however, apologized.
'We take that back.' Her tone however wasn't very apologetic.

'Where do men like us find such sweet women?' Nicholae's question was to Semi and it was rhetorical. Osei however failed to see this.

'You're getting really close to crossing the line there my friend and I'm aching to bite someone.'

Osei then smiled kindly at the boy observing him from behind his father's impeccable sky blue tunic for s brief second and then returned his hard eyes back to the father.

The child was so quiet Osei mostly forgot he was there.
Nicholae didn't. Even though he was talking to Osei about serious matters, his entire focus was on his son and the forty odd wolves looking at him.
He seriously hoped they were only curious about him as a child and not food.