14. House spirit

She was done. Done!
Done with Nicholae and her term under house arrest.
But she was also too caught up with season 2 of Charmed to care that much.
Out of all her options she'd decided to watch the show about three sister witches.

If only the descendants of Ximena were able to live together like they did. Maybe it would strengthen the magic the guardian tree emitted. If that wasn't even the case, it'd have been cool to simply gotten to know one another. To create a bond with the fellow tree mates before the whole tree thing.

So far, she didn't have a favorite in the series. It was hard to pick just one! But that would be rectified after a couple more episodes.

She had already finished two other tv shows all in the hopes of staying awake. A very unusual problem for a dead person.

She quickly pushed the pause button and saw the time. It was almost dawn, so where was Niko? Oh how it pained her to even think this aloud, but - where was Nicholae?
The time now was two o'clock.
But really was it her place to even worry or care?
She was grateful he wasn't around because after that awful dream, she had a hard time looking at Nicholae.

She was certain he was probably off somewhere on 'urgent matters'.
She was damn sure he was in between some poor fool's thighs.

'Hold on Val.' She sat up straighter.
Where the hell had that idea sprung from? And why did the thought annoy her more than it should have?

She almost resumed her movie when she heard something at the door.
With lightning reflexes she had no clue she possessed, she went to the door and listened.

'His Lordship's son is not yet back.' She heard a maid report.

'And his spawn?' Ivan's voice help no warmth for his grandson. He must have disliked Niko's mother a lot. Or he simply disliked the fact that whoever the mother was did not suit Tchkovsky standards. Nicholae's affair must have caused a lot of trouble.

'He's sleeping.'

'My Lord.' The servant voice went a few notes higher.

'His Lordship Nicholae asked that no one disturb the young master.'

Valentina wanted to see the face of the servant who had the guts to actually say that to Ivan. Valentina could imagine the look on Ivan's face.

His voice said it all, it was probably screwed in an unbecoming scowl.
'Have you forgotten you place you groveling mouse? It is not in your best interest to talk out of turn.'
It held a righteous anger someone of Ivan's caliber would have.
And how dare a maid tell him what to do?
Valentina wanted to step out and prevent what would inevitably happen.
She heard the loud smack and a cry from the servant.

That was abuse. And Valentina had a lot to say about that. To hell with the consequences. She tried the door but damn Nicholae, she was trapped.

'Where did such a lowlife like you get the courage to speak to me?'
He unattractively scoffed.
'I'm sure my son put you up to this. The stupid boy.' He muttered on the side.
'You're probably doing favors for him.' He spat the word 'favors' like it was something dirty.
Valentina covered her mouth to mute the gasp.
'Nicholae was sleeping with the help?' she mouthed.
That was a whole new possibility.
She saw Ivan's disgust in a whole new light.
Nicholae had an affair with the help. Possibly against her will knowing how these noble Vampires were.
'The next time you speak to me like that again? It won't be just a slap. And my sorry excuse for a son will not be able to save you.'
For good measure, he kicked the woman in the stomach.

He was coming towards Nicholae's door.
Valentina's eyes went wide at the sound of approaching footsteps.
She dove into the bed so she could sink herself to the bottom so she was safely hidden under the bed. But the plan didn't work that fast.
She landed solidly on the bed.