16. Bitten

Valentina sat beside Nicholae and watched him slip in and out of consciousness. He was as whte as a sheet. To her, it was obvious that he needed blood.
But whenever she suggested it to him, he'd only turn over to the other side and mutter some nonsense like all he needed was rest.

For a vampire, he wasn't doing a good job of vampiring.

Now that he was resting she had time to think about her reaction and actions.
She'd called him Cole! What was this now? Where had the stupid nickname come from?
She repacked her brain and yet not a single answer was forthcoming.
And seeing him like that had done scary things to her inside. Valentina knee how she was supposed to have reacted to his returning home wounded and out of it.
She should have done a little Native American dance around his body like she'd figured out how to release her picture from his desk, and so long Nicholae and his damned room.

But did she do that? Did she take her freedom? No.
Instead she stayed behind and helped an immortal get better. He was immortal! For crying out loud, he could have heard himself.

'You could have healed yourself. And I could have been gone.'

She was extremely tempted to throw one of his pristine pillows at his handsome face. How dare he look so good?

In her internal complaints, she hadn't heard Niko come in.
'Papa.'

'Niko, darling. He's only resting. He had a very stressful day at... uh..'
stressful date where?

'Work.'

Niko frowned at her with pouted lips.

'Don't give me that look young man because I'm telling you the truth.' She tried to cover up her lie with an nervous laugh. When that failed to lift his mood, she gave him a frown which mirrored his.

The look on his face when he looked at his father broke her heart.
'Can I get a hug?'
If his expression hadn't done it, that question definitely did.
Without thinking she went to him and gave him a hug. She didn't care if she was spirit, in fact when she went to him, she didn't think at all.
Her heart simply called to Niko at that instance and it only felt right to give hold him.

And she was able to hold him. No explanation was necessary to explain the phenomenon.
She was hugging the child, and she appreciated being able to touch another human being.

'Cole... uh I mean Nicholae is going to be alright. I promise, all he needs is some rest.'
And blood.

She gently pulled the boy away from her bosom.

'Could you send for a human servant to bring some blood?'

The boy happily nodded, happy that he had something to do.

'You know the deal. I'll hide and when he or she brings the goblet and you collect it.'

Like a good little soldier, he did exactly as she ordered.

'You aren't my babysitter.' He told her as he proped his father up.
'Are you firing me?' She playfully asked. Her voice sounded cheerful, but her mind was in turmoil.

Something was wrong with her.
She looked down at her hands and tried once more to grab the goblet filled with blood.
Nothing.
Yet it had only been moments when she'd touched Niko.

'I'm not firing you. But I truly wished you were. You don't treat me like I'm invisible or like I'm some weird invention.'

Valentina sent his her sweetest smile.
She couldn't understand how anyone could dislike Niko. It was only possible if they didn't have a heart.
'Well then kid, I'm here 24/7. Tell me when, and I'll sneak into your room.'
She gave up. 'But first this cup.'
She explained when he gave her another one of his looks. Where did the boy get them from?
'I'm queasy around blood.' She added, 'Remember?'
'Yes, I do.'