9.Reprecussions

'You stupid little bitch.'
Lily's face stung as a result of the slap the mistress had so generously gifted her.
A slap was a far better punishment than Lily deserved for her blatant disobedience.

'Not only did you fail and put the stupid wolves on our trail, you also sent Hekyl into the fray. Now making the bloodsucking child aware of his existence.'

Lily barely held her tears of shame in check.
'Don't you dare give me that pitiful look. I don't even know what to do with you.' Said the latest skin the mistress wore. This week, she controlled the body of an old hag.

The demons standing behind her  snarled suggestions at her.
'I need to be a woman of my words. I warned you lily that the next time you messed up you'll be at their mercy.'

With a flick of her wrist the demons were on Lily. Needle like teeth sank into her flesh and yanked it with a force. Their hooked talons for fingernails, cut deep into her body, puncturing several agonizing holes in her body. The tearing and the biting seemed to last forever yet it was simply mere seconds.
Mercifully, the mistress ordered them to stand down.

Lily whimpered on the bare wooden floor of the Salty Seawater inn. The noise coming from downstairs drowned out her screams while the wafting scent of food, beer, sweat tears and blood covered the smell of her blood from her gaping wounds.

The demons made hungry sounds indicating they wanted to feast some more. The rabid pack was only held in check by the old witch.

'I hate punishing my friends even more than I hate the ruling families.'
She struggled to kneel beside Lily and when she succeeded, she stroked the poor girl's raw face.
'You have to understand why things must be handled this way. We have worked so hard and come too far for our plans to be unhinged right when it's coming together.'
Her wrinkled hands roughly grabbed Lily's raw chin to turn her face towards hers.
'I won't let them kill you. Not yet because I still have some use for you.'
The demons came to her aid when she attempted to stand.
After their help, she shooed the ugly creatures away.

'Go on and heal yourself. Tomorrow you have another job to complete and you can't meet your chaperone in this state.'

'Chaperone?' Lily croaked. Her entire body felt ready to explode. Pain raked every single inch of her existence, physical pain like she'd never felt before. Yet with all that, she was still able to feel the psychological hurt from the mistress's next words.

'Yes my dear lily, a chaperone. I can't trust you to carry out my instructions without messing it up. I'll have someone I can trust with you. Someone who can re-educate you on how I like my instructions carried out.'
She turned in her heels and left Lily alone in the small dark room.
Every syllable of the spell she uttered sent a fresh ripple of pain throughout her body. Even as her body healed, the blinding pain persisted and her cry of anguish bounced of the walls. Until finally, it ebbed away like the end of a bad headache.

Lily picked herself off the ground, her hands tried to hold her tattered clothes together for some semblance of modesty.
She weak legs wobbled under the stress of carrying her body down the narrow stairs from the attic to the small corner at the back of the inn.
She found her friend Loraine, a part-time waitress at the inn looking up, surprised to find her at the inn at all. Her look turned pitiful after fully accessing her appearance.
Loraine ushered her to a surprisingly empty booth and brought her of beer.
'Can I get something with more of a kick to it?'
Heaven knew she needed it to calm the angry storm that raged in her heart.
'One second okay? and when I come back you should stop crying, please.' Loraine excused herself and went to the bartender.
Lily watched her whisper something in his ear. He began to mix a couple of drink behind the bar then.
She swiped the tears from her face and reached for a suitable composure.