10. The Babysitter Chronicles

The task of keeping the young vampire lord from bounding outside and telling everyone about her was an adventure.

When he woke up calling for his mother, Valentina had been too petrified to move. The ramifications of her the new rebellious side landed her into trouble.
'Who are you?' Niko asked.

She tried to stand still, maybe he'll go back to sleep. At least she prayed he would once he thought it was all a dream.

'Excuse me? Ma'am. I still see you there.'

Valentina turned around.
'This is all a dream.' She slowly said while she wiggles her fingers.
Niko only stared blankly at her.

'You aren't a servant here.' He spoke like a little know it all. Just like his father.

'But I am. Your father just hired me to take care of you. He had an important meeting to go to.'

The boy was very smart, he didn't believe her for a second.

'Really? Why would he hire you? We have so many people.'

Valentina thought fast.
'He said he couldn't trust the staff to not abandon you and attend to other duties.' She hastily lied.

'So he waited all these  years, to finally hire my own babysitter?'
Valentina's palms were becoming sweaty under the pressure. Yet by some miracle she was able to keep her cool.

'Young lord, he's your father. You ask him, I cannot question him in his decisions.' She quickly added.
'He'll be back soon so go back to bed. The sun is still out, it's a beautiful day so there's nothing to see. Sleep okay?'
She walked towards him motioning for him to lie back.

'can't sleep.'
The short phrase sounded like a gavel hammering down.
Valentina could just cry. Now she prayed for Nicholae to return as soon as possible.
Niko scooted down to the end of the bed and faced her, he sat there examining her like an ant under a magnifying glass.

'You didn't get the uniform yet. Maybe I should call one of the...'

'No!' Valentina quickly said. 'One of the conditions in my contract is that I get to wear whatever I want.'

He sized her in her emerald dress. The very one she wore on the day of her death. Fortunately, her death hadn't been too ghastly since there were no blood stains on her. However there were mud stains on the end of her gown.

'If you say so.' Niko said.
'Well. I'm so hungry.'
She couldn't stop him this time. Although she did try to come up with an excuse to keep the boy from feeding.

'Come on let's go.' He gestured to her to follow.

'Why don't you have your food up here?'

Niko sadly responded, 'It's not allowed. They say that I must be watched.'

Valentina had overhead the way Ivan spoke about his Grandson, openly calling him a halfbreed. He didn't have to say the words out loud but it was very much implied that he didn't accept this boy as his grandson. He wanted a pure blooded heir. So Nicholae had to marry from one of the lesser noble families with pedigrees.

The thought infuuriated her for an unknown reason. The same reason that had her wanting to trust Nicholae.
It was madness, that's what it was.

'Well I'm here. So I'll watch you.' She happily volunteered.
The boy's eyes lit up. 'Oh great. So can I have a bite?'

Valentina staggered back.
'No!' She almost yelled.
She quickly composed herself.
'That was one of the conditions. That I wouldn't be used as food.'