35. Tripping

Valentina looked back at Fauna who was smiling and nodding behind her.
Her confusion showed on her face.

'Valentina.' Semi pointed 'She's your wife.'

'So you're not married to Fauna?' Valentina asked.

'Yes. And no.' He replied to both women.
'What made you think I was married to Fauna.'

'I have nothing to do with this Your Lordship.' Fauna quickly said when Nicholae looked at her next.

'Let's go inside. This is not the place to talk.' Osei reminded them of where they stood.

'Fauna take Valentina with you.'
But she wanted to hear all of it. The explanation and everything.

'I have a room prepared for you. It's your old one.'
Valentina studied the beautiful pregnant woman who had hugged her as though they were friends.

The four males walked ahead of them disappearing into another room. Semi decided to stay with them because she couldn't quite wrap her head around being able to touch Valentina all the time without the chill that accompanied it.

'Do you remember me? I'm Semi.'

Valentina recalled the name from Niko's story.
'Niko told me about you. You were the one that found me, my friend.'

Semi nodded her eyes tested up seeing her friend with amnesia.
'Fauna tell me we can fix this. Can we get her memories back?' Semi's question was a silent plea to the other witch.

'I'm a step ahead Semi.'
She opened the pouch around her waist and removed a vial from it.

'It just needs a little more work. I got exhausted and needed to rest for a bit.'

'The spell is draining?' Semi asked.

'A little.' Fauna modestly replied.
'But even if I get it done, she said she wouldn't take it.' Fauna told Semi.

'Why?' Semi asked Valentina who was lost in her whole world of thought.
Fauna replied, 'she doesn't want to remember... everything.'

'No. I do!' Valentina shot up from the of the bed where she'd been sitting thinking about Nicholae's confessing.
He'd introduced her as his wife that meant they were married which meant her forgotten memories were of him and happy moments together. Why wouldn't she want to remember her past now when she'd just found every reason to?

Fauna looked at her in surprise.
Semi looked spaced out for a little bit as she focused on what the men downstairs were talking about.

'Nicholae is giving them the short and sweet version of the entire story.' Semi told them.
Then she grabbed Valentina's forearms and said.
'Once you get your memory back you should tell us all about it. I love a good story.'
She looked at Fauna who looked surprised.

'Yes. Us Fauna as in the two of us in this room.'

Semi turned her head to the door.
'And it seems you're going along with Nicholae on his trip outside the Valley.'
Valentina noticed Semi's eyes lose the spark of joy that had just been there.
Fauna nodded.
'You should get going then, Nicholae plans to leave immediately.'

Fauna excused herself and left the two alone.

Semi gathered both of Valentina's hands and sighed heavily as though the weight of the world had just been placed on her shoulders.