11.One step forward

'The Council would not allow Osei in the Manor.' Nicholae blurted out the truth.
He'd been mulling over the thought of telling Valentina about the swift meeting called in the hall of Vladimir.

'But I thought you and Osei had agreed on becoming allies. Wasn't that one of the conditions you promised.'

He shook his head.
'I promised him access to our facilities. I didn't say it had to be him or when?'

'You slimy bastard.' Valentina wanted to claw at him, he could tell when she curled her fingers. She even tried as she went straight through him. But she didn't give up. He'd seen her move papers. She had the power to move objects and she saw him as just that, an object.
He saw the light flicker in her eyes.

Her anger was a powerful enough fuel. Her hands came up and so did Nicholae.

'Val. Val calm down.' He reached out to her. 'They agreed to allow Semi to..'
But Valentina wasn't listening. She threw him against the stone wall.
The pain exploded in his back upon impact. He then came crumbling down on the ground. Since the air was forced out of his lungs, it took him a second to catch his breath.

He rolled his head on his forearm and winced at the pain in his head. Usually it would have taken him a minute to heal. But recently he'd been too busy to pay attention to his feeding. If it wasn't for Sonya... he'd be lying passed out on the floor or terrorizing the poor inhabitants of the southern valley.

He picked himself off the ground and spoke before she threw another fit.
Her eyes had darkened to an almost black shade.

'Semi is allowed in her. She can choose companions except Osei. Things might change after the banquet.'

She became considerably calm, her shoulders relaxed and she lost the scary look in her eyes.
A knock at the door distracted them temporarily from the discussion at hand.

'Leave me.' Nicholae yelled.

'Sir, the Lords and Ladies want to know if your are fine. They heard something.'

Nicholae slightly opened the door and politely told her to make herself scarce.

'No, they can't hear us. But that was a large enough crash.' Nicholae told Valentina when he recognized the scared look on her face.
His hand went to the tender spot on his head.

'I guess I deserved that for not taking care of the family before making promises.'

He shouldn't expect an apology from her because she didn't look like she would willingly give it.

'I didn't mean to turn out as a liar.'
He was a Tskovosky, and so he could offer his help and allegiance to whoever he wanted. At least that's what he thought but yet again his family showed him how ignorant he was.

'So why did it take you that long.'

The honest reply was he was unsure how his family would take the news. He thought since they were such sticklers for keeping their words that they would have no other reason but to keep his. But all they'd done was remind him that he was meant to be pushed around, had it not been for Sonya, they might have succeeded.

'Politics.' He chose the much simpler answer that didn't make him look like a coward.

'Papa. I heard something.' Niko said, walking into the room with a towel around his hair and his waist.
He could see so much of his mother in him. So much so that it was a wonder no one else knew who his mother was.

'It was nothing Niko. Quickly get dressed then you can come with me.'

His eyes lit up and he quickly forgot about the shattered table behind his father.
'You know where to find your clothes.'