31. Taking care of business

Nicholae stared at his son not knowing how to start, what to say or think. His eyes went from Niko and back to Rex.
'Niko...' he started.
'What...' he tried again.
'How...' seemed like the better way to begin.
'Why...' also a good question Starter but his mind was drawing blanks. So he breathed and stared of into the distance to collect his thoughts.
Niko looked down at his shoes carefully avoiding Nicholae's eyes.
Rex on the other hand wagged his tail happily.

'You turned Rex into a puppy.' Nicholae wasn't sure how to react. Parenting Niko was always an adventure.

Osei has given his son Rex as a companion and not more than a day later, Niko had already ruined the gift. How would Osei react once he found out that his dog was now a puppy.
'And you made him immortal on top of that.'
Rex was the one who nodded.

'And he can understand me?'
The situation just kept getting worse.

'Niko, look at me.'
And he did, with huge puppy dog eyes filled with tears.
'I'm sorry Papa.' He said, sniffing.

'You went into the potions room without my permission. What would have happened to you if you'd messed with the wrong things?'
Of course Niko had to say something.

'I didn't do it on my own. Azura, the one with the blue hair, she helped me.'
He would have a word with that witch.
'It's not her fault Papa. I lied and told her you thought it was a great idea. I also told her Osei wouldn't mind since he knew about it.'

Osei knew about this?
'Does he?'
Nicholae rubbed his temples when his son shook his head.
He had a building headache and an upset stomach from the constant hunger and throwing up. Earlier he'd felt a little better when he'd been with Valentina. He could still taste her and her blood.
But suddenly she was angry at him. His temples throbbed some more.
He'd deal with that later now he had other pressing matters.

'What else did you do to Rex? So I can tell Osei before you shock him with Rex 2.0.'

'Rex has always been able to understand Osei. Osei can communicate with dogs too.'

What the actual...?
'I just wanted to be able to understand Rex too.' Niko went on.

Nicholae nodded. 'Fine just tell me what else you did to him.'

Niko didn't immediately speak. He played with his fingers and twisted them like he did whenever he got nervous.

'Trust me son at this point there's nothing bad you can say.'

Niko smiled brightly.
'I gave Rex more wolf genes. And then some.'
Niko's smile dimmed when he looked at Rex. But it isn't showing yet. I don't know why. Hopefully,' His smiled brightened once more.
'It'll show as he gets bigger.'

Nicholae spotted Erik, the butler approaching.
'Go to your room.' Nicholae said.

'But Papa.'
He gave Niko an unwavering glare.

'Fine.' Niko stubbornly kicked at the air and stormed off with an equally miffed Rex following on his heels.

'Sonya would like to see you know.'
It was obvious he wasn't going back to his room anytime soon. So he quickly shot a text to Fauna to ward his room so absolutely no one could get him. He'd answer their questions later.
Here in the mansions keys did not work.

Only after he received a reply from Fauna did he study the butler who's appearance was usually impeccable. It was so even now, save a little something on his face.
And Nicholae knew exactly what it was.

'You missed a spot.' He told the butler tapping on his chin.

Nicholae smirked when he caught the usually emotionless butler by surprise.