Chapter 1

~ a Few hours ago~

"Will you marry me?" Kongpob asked softly, with one of his knees on the ground. He's been dating Jane for five years now, but still feared her answer. She could reject him easily.

"Yes!" Jane teared up and nodded. A huge smile formed on his face when he put the ring on her finger. It was slightly bigger but that could be easily adjusted. 

"Let's marry as soon as possible." She said excitedly.

"We should wait a bit... mother wants me to be engaged for at least a year before actual marriage so she can plan everything to details." Kongpob's smile weakened when he saw a frown on his now fiancé face.

"I don't want a huge wedding, just something very private, delicate and quick. We could even get married tomorrow!" Jane pointed out, acting a bit odd.

"But dear, since I'm the heir, I need to follow some rules. I thought you understand. I can't do everything as I please." He explained, feeling the weird tension. This isn't how he imagined the proposal to go.

"I understand, of course... I've just started looking too forward to what's going to come after the wedding ceremony." She whispered seductively.

Kongpob understood what Jane meant, an agreement they'd done shortly after their relationship started. Anything beyond kissing comes after marriage. That's what she wanted and Kong understood and accepted her decision.

"We will have our whole lives for that. As the saying goes, the best peaches are the ripe ones. It's worth waiting for the good stuff." He explained, smiling softly. He didn't know this side of his girlfriend yet.

"But...! You just don't understand! I always try to understand but have you ever considered my feelings? Of course not!" She stormed off suddenly.

"Jane! What's going on? Has something happened?" Kongpob asked worriedly. She's been acting very weird.

"I will tell you wh-..." She covered her mouth, making gagging sounds. Kong saw her disappear in the bathroom and heard her throw up.

"Are you okay? Sick? Shall I take you to the hospital? Or call a doctor to come over?" He asked as soon as she came out. Jane only slid the ring he's just put on her down and handed it back to him.

"I give up. I'm pregnant, Kong. Do your math."

*** *** ***

"You're 26 already, Arthit. Do you want Mary to run off with someone else? You've been dating her for seven years now! How long do you want to wait? You need to ask her!" His mother lamented during their breakfast.

"You're the heir of the oldest company in the country, how-" She was interrupted by her son.

"...How can you expect people to follow someone so unsettled?" Arthit finished in her stead. His mother only shook her head, turning to her husband to support her.

"I'm sure my son knows what he's doing, am I right?" His father asked, giving him a deadly serious look.

"I am, father. In fact, I've already bought the ring and intend to ask by the end of this week." Arthit said dramatically, still fearing his parents.

"Finally! I can be at ease now. You should've said so earlier! Making your poor mother worry like this." She sighed in relief. The rest of the breakfast was eaten in silence.

Arthit didn't lie about having the ring, but he had no intention of asking that magical question yet. The greater was the pressure from the outside, the more he wanted to rebel. As the only child of the owner of the A's company, the oldest company for making jewelry in the country, expectations were high.

Arthit, though, knew the truth. The business wasn't doing great, their debt has been only rising and everyone was only waiting to throw it all on his shoulders. That would happen as soon as he marries his girlfriend, something he couldn't do even if he wanted to.

He'd decided to sneak out of the house and crash at Mary's place for time being. He had his own place but his parents would invade it the second they find out their son is missing.

"It's me, babe!" He rang the doorbell impatiently, freezing from the chilly weather outside. It was the middle of a January and Arthit hated cold weather. She might be sleeping or in the shower, he thought and pulled out his spare key.

It was still pretty early giving how much Arthit loved to sleep in. He unlocked the front door and quietly entered the hallway, not wanting to wake up his girlfriend. What immediately put his alarm on the emergency was a pair of shoes. Man's shoes. A friend could sleepover, that happened quite often.

Two glasses of wine on the coffee table in the living room were another red flag, but Arthit thought nothing of it. He also drank wine with his friends from time to time, nothing weird or suspicious.

The bedroom's door was slightly opened, allowing him to take a look without clicking the handle. Arthit only wanted to see if she's still sleeping or not at home. What he saw didn't meet his expectations.

At all.

Mary was lying naked in the embrace of a man. Not any man though, Arthit would recognize him anywhere. Knot, his best friend, was next to his girlfriend also not wearing much.

Numerous scenarios rushed through Arthit's head when he left the apartment. He didn't want to make a scene, his nerves would probably break down. Crying in front of them was the worst he could do.

Arthit: I've been to your place just now. No need to explain, I'm breaking up with you. Never contact me again. I don't want to see you ever again. Tell the same to Knot.

Arthit looked at the ring he was still holding in his hand. It was too pretty to be thrown out. He will just give it to the next person he meets.

Thank you for checking out this story! I hope you'll like it, I'll try to update as soon and frequently as possible!