Prologue

This story is a spin-off of "The Billionaire's Heir."

Although I recommend it, it is not necessary to read "The Billionaire's Heir" to be able to understand this story.

Ready for round two?

Here we go!

_______________________________________________________

Dana had been looking forward to this day ever since she'd realized that Ethan was the one. A man who'd never thought he'd find anyone interesting and engaging enough to spend the rest of his life with had been smitten by her. They were each other's missing piece, or so Dana thought. She had been so incredibly happy only a few minutes ago when Ethan had gotten down on one knee in front of everyone they cared about and asked her to marry him. But it had all changed in just a split of a moment. Now all she could feel was anger and betrayal. She felt a burning sensation in her chest and she thought to herself that her heart must be on fire. She didn't want to believe her eyes but the writing was on the wall.

"What is this?" She questioned, surprisingly calmly. She had to use an incredible amount of restraint not to scream her heart out.

Ethan looked down at the pictures scattered on the floor, some face up, some face down. A million thoughts were running through his head. He was confused with what was happening. Dread filled him as he looked up to see her face, watching the tears spill from those beautiful expressive eyes that he adored. He didn't remember the last time he'd felt such terror. He was terrified of losing her.

"I'm talking to you, Ethan. I need an answer. Tell me the man in these pictures isn't you. " She shuddered involuntarily. Her throat was hurting from the unspoken words and from trying to control her tears.

"Dana..." He trailed off. What the hell was he supposed to say? It was him in the pictures. It was undeniable. But it didn't make sense. Where did she get them from? When were these taken? He didn't even remember being in them.

"What is this?!" She yelled, letting her anger explode. "This is you isn't it? But why? Why..." She gasped. Each breath was an effort. Her face twisted, as if she was in pain.

"Dana, I can't...I mean I don't..." He struggled to find the right words but he was in a shock at what was happening. So he stood there like an idiot. He was afraid of saying something wrong but his silence did him more harm than good.

"Do you even have an answer?" She whispered, staring at him. "Don't you have anything to say to me?

She was going to walk away from him. He could feel it. If he didn't speak now she was going to assume the worst and leave. So he finally said, "I know what you're thinking looking at these pictures but trust me, it's not true. I couldn't...I wouldn't, Dana. You know me." She shook her head, like she couldn't believe him. In his desperation, he took a step closer to her. "You know me." He needed her to trust him. He couldn't bear the way she was looking at him right now. "Please, believe me. This is not the kind of person I am. You know that." He was begging her with his eyes, begging her to believe.

"I don't want to think this is you. The man in these pictures is not the man I want to marry. But I can't...turn a blind eye to this, Ethan. You cheated on me. It's clear from these pictures. There is no explanation for this, is there?" She looked at his face, trying to find the man she loved. But everything was a blur. She has finding it difficult to comprehend the situation or her emotions. Only one thought crossed her mind. No matter how hard she tried, in that moment, all she wanted was to get away from him.

Ethan grabbed her hand to stop her from taking her engagement ring off. "What the hell are you doing? Don't do that. We can talk about this!"

She pulled her hand free."I'm sorry, Ethan. But I can't even entertain the thought of being with you right now. The man who asked me to marry him was faithful. I trusted him." She breathed in deeply. "You...I don't trust you."

The look on her face nearly killed him. "Dana, this is fucking crazy! You can't leave!" All he wanted to do right now was pull her close. He wanted to hold her, as if his touch could communicate with her everything that was in his heart.

"Can you prove these pictures wrong? Do you have an explanation? Because if you do, I'm here. I'll listen. I'll try to understand. Do you?"

"I...don't." He struggled for words for a few seconds. "I don't even know when this happened. I don't remember this, Dana. I would never do this to you, to us. Not intentionally. Please believe me." He begged.

She didn't say anything except for holding the ring out to him.

"You can't just walk away from us. Put it back on." He said, refusing to take it from her. This couldn't be the end of their relationship. Was their love that weak? Did she really not know him?

"Take it or I'm going to throw it away." She responded, ignoring what he's said.

"Fine then throw it away!" He exclaimed in anger. He'd be damned if he took the ring back. It was hers. It was a symbol of what they shared. He'd never take it back.

She took a step closer to him and tucked the ring in his jacket pocket. "I don't want it. Not from someone who'd betray me like this. It's my mistake. I let myself believe that you could change. I was like those sappy women who think they can change men. I was clearly wrong. Ethan Salvay can never change. And I will never be happy with someone like you."

Ethan shook his head, her words cutting him like a knife. "I am still the man you wanted to marry. You're the one who refuses to trust me."

With a slight doubt in her heart, she turned around. She never thought she'd see this day.

"I'm still in love with you, Dana Johnson. Always will be." His voice trailed behind her as she walked away.

____________

This is just a little part of the story that comes towards the end so don't freak out. I did not get Ethan and Dana engaged without your presence ;) :P

Last edited: May 8 2017