Chapter 23

"Did you get any information on the person who did this?" Ethan said, looking at the officer.

Cops had been investigating the accident as soon as it was reported but hadn't updated Ethan and Luke yet. However, since Dana was expected to wake up soon, a couple of officers came to the hospital to ask her what she remembered of that incident, if anything at all.

"We ran the number plate through our records to know who owns that car, we have a name. A couple of officers are working on that lead. We'll let you know as soon as we have that person in our custody." The officer responded.

Ethan nodded. "Thank you. She'd already been dealing with a lot of trouble with her ex-boyfriend, officer. Now this..." he trailed off.

"Yes, I was speaking with Detective Ross about the William Dawson situation. I wonder if there is a connection."

Ethan frowned. "A connection?"

"Mr. Salvay, we all know what kind of criminal William Dawson is. We have been trying to pin him and his brothers down for quite a while now. He is ruthless and doesn't have any value for human life. Isn't it possible that he could be behind Ms. Johnson's accident? It's just a hunch. But I wouldn't rule it out."

Once the words hit Ethan, dread washed over him. "No...officer, he is obsessed with her. Since he's come back in her life, he's tried to intimidate her and get her back. But he hasn't harmed her physically...." he didn't know who he was trying to convince. Perhaps himself.

"Sir, isn't it also true that he has beat her several times in the past? He has physically hurt her before. The question is, did he also just try to kill her."

"But, why would he..."

"We can only speculate on the motivations. Though generally, when a person like him realizes that he can no longer have what he wants, maybe he'll want to make sure that no one does. This could be his way to ensure that."

"If this is true..." Ethan clenched his jaw. "I don't care what you do, my girlfriend needs to be safe. I don't want him or his people anywhere near her. We need to catch him, put him behind bars for what he is doing. But I don't ever want his hands on her again!"

The officer nodded. "That's definitely our goal, Mr. Salvay. For now, let's try to confirm what exactly happened. I will-"

"Mr. Salvay? Dana's starting to wake up," the nurse said, rushing out.

Ethan had sat next to Dana earlier when she was unconscious. He'd held her hand and cried for her. He'd told her about all his fears and worries when he knew she couldn't hear him. But now she would. Now she would see him, and if he was being honest, he was afraid.

I refuse to be a stranger to you. He said to her in his heart as he nodded at the nurse and followed her inside Dana's room.

"Ms. Johnson. Can you tell me how you're feeling?" The nurse asked, walking over to one of the monitors to check something.

Dana didn't respond. She blinked a couple of times before sweeping the room with her eyes.

Ethan stayed rooted in his spot by the door. His hands were fists next to him and jaw tight. He was afraid to breathe. He wanted to walk over to her and say something, but he was terrified of doing so.

Her eyes fell on him but he couldn't read that look. Was that recognition or dismissal?

Before he could think more, the door behind him opened and the doctor walked in. Ethan moved out of the way as the doctor gave him a reassuring smile and walked over to Dana.