Chapter 21

It had been 5 weeks since they had heard anything about William's whereabouts.

Last week Detective Ross advised that it was alright for them to go back to their normal lives while retaining their current bodyguards. Though, at Ethan's request, they stayed at the safe house for a week longer.

They were looking forward to getting in touch with the world again. Even though they had enjoyed their time together, it was obvious that both of them were missing their family and friends.

Ethan and Dana both sold their apartments and decided to move in together in a different place. They could control who knew about their new address and maintain some level of privacy and safety.

"How do you feel about not hearing from him?" Ethan asked as they lay in bed.

With her head resting on his chest, Dana tried to put her feelings into words. "I want to believe that he is no longer a threat and that my life...our life is finally our own. But," she hesitated, "it's so unlike him. I mean maybe he lost interest and decided I wasn't worth the trouble. I sure hope that's the case. But, part of me wonders if this is the calm before the storm. Maybe he's just waiting it out, you know?"

Ethan stayed silent for a second before responding. "I think we should stay positive. The sooner we claim our lives back, the better. Don't you think?"

Dana nodded and hugged him a little tighter. "I think you are right. This is all a small hurdle. Everything will be fine. Especially because you're with me. Right?"

"Always." Ethan responded, kissing her heard.

If I'd agreed with her she'd have worried more, Ethan thought. How can I tell her that there is no way in hell this is over. He didn't all of this just to end up disappearing. He has to have planned something. But what? I can't talk about this before knowing exactly what's going on.

"Hi, do you want to relax for the rest of the day? I'll be right back."

Dana frowned. "Where are you going?"

Ethan hesitated. I should probably meet with the detective alone so I can express my concerns openly. "Uh...I just remembered something important. So..."

Dana pouted. "Something more important than me?"

Ethan chuckled. "There is nothing more important than you "

"Then it's decided," she said, sitting up. "We're going to do something together. Spend as much time together as possible. Once we go back I'll have to share you with the world. But right now, you're mine and mine alone."

Ethan raised his eyebrows. "Oh wow...after that declaration, who am I to say no to you. But I just need one hour. Then I'm all yours."

"Nope. I'm sorry. What I say goes. Now, let's go. There is a really nice trail near by. We can go for a walk."

"But, Dana-"

"Blah blah blah. Done? Now let's go." Dana pulled him so make him sit up as well. "Come on." She tugged him to make him get out of bed.

Ethan shook his head. "You're less like my girlfriend and more like my grandma sometimes."

~~~

Dana had just unpacked her things at her new apartment with Ethan. No one knew she'd mover, not even her mom. No matter how badly she wanter to lean on her and tell her everything, Dana knew that keeping this whole situation a secret was good for not only her security, but her mom's safety as well.

She only spoke with Miriam about work and dodged any personal questions. After a while, she got the point and avoided asking anything personal herself.