nine - party virgin

I follow Ashton out into the school parking lot, leaving a space between us. There wasn't many cars in the parking lot, since everyone had already gone home and it wasn't hard to guess which car was Ashton's from the small selection. I didn't know much about cars, but I knew this jet black Bentley was probably not cheap - in fact, it was most definitely the opposite.

I told Ashton that I would just call my mum to drop me off, but he gave me a glare and said he would just drive me - which made me nervous. I had never been in a car with someone under the age of thirty, so the thought of having to sit beside a boy I hardly knew, was kind of scary. I wasn't even quite sure where the change of heart from Ashton had come from, I was pretty confused though. I understand that everyone has good and bad days, however Ashton rarely has a good day.

Ashton walks over to the driver's side and gets in, which clearly means he's telling me: 'Hey, I'm not a gentleman, open your own door'.

Cautiously, I walk over to the passenger seat and swing the door open - causing the door to swing faster than I had intended. I quickly stop the door and look to Ashton, whose jaw drops and eyes widen.

"Fuck's sake!" Ashton snaps. "This car costs more than my own existence, so please would you mind the damn door."

"Sorry." I quickly say, climbing into the car. I pull the door shut as carefully as I can, not wanting to harm anything and lean back. I wonder why Ashton hadn't started driving yet, so I look over to him to find him still glaring at me, with his nostrils flared looking mad. I began to wonder why I said yes to coming, since I hate parties and can't stand Ashton (other than his face).

"Can you just not touch anything?" Ashton demands, turning the key to start the car. "In fact, just don't even breathe whilst you're in this car."

"Right, okay." I mumble, gulping and staying quiet. I knew that this car was probably pretty expensive, but what was the point in offering to drive me in that case if he didn't want me to even breathe right now?

Ashton loudly sighs, still not beginning to drive and looks over to me once again. I feel his glare burning into my side, causing my heart to race. Slowly, I turn my head to face Ashton, who still does not look satisfied before beginning to get moving.

I didn't even want to attend this party anymore, because I wouldn't know anyone there. I had no idea why Ashton offered to bring me anyway, because it wasn't as if he would stay with me. A month or so ago, I would have dreamed about getting invited to a popular party, but now I wasn't so sure - in fact, I'm completely sure that I do not want to go.

"You know, these seats are real leather, Lacey." Ashton rolls his eyes, as if I had missed the obvious point.

"Wow, those poor animals." I scoff, not really know what his point was right now. "I'll be sure to donate to help the pandas later, Ashton, but can you please just start the car."

As the words come out of my mouth, I wonder why on earth I just spoke. I hadn't intended to actually allow a full sentence to come out of my mouth, since usually with Ashton the only words in my vocabulary is anything to do with agreeing with him. I shyly look to Ashton, who's furrowing his eyebrows, before allowing a smirk to creep onto his face.

"Did you just sass me, Lacey?" Ashton raises an eyebrow and grins, which to my surprise - seemed as if he wasn't mad that I hadn't allowed him to state his point.

Honestly, I should of just gone home instead of agreeing to this - besides, I hadn't watched Mean Girls in four whole days, it was basically begging for me to watch again.

I think carefully before responding and then realize that being scared of Ashton really is just stupid because what was there to be scared of? I mean, sure he could be intimidating, but only if you let him get to you. I didn't want to be that stupid girl, that he could pick on whenever he wanted. Surely if he invited me to this party, it had to count for something.