fourteen - jealousy

The rest of the few hours spent on the camping trip was pretty boring, apart from when Mr Raye had gotten stung by a rare species wasp and had to be carted to hospital by a rescue ambulance - which had resulted in not having to spend another night in the forest. I can't say I was complaining though. 

Once the bus had arrived back at the school, I had figured that I was just going to go home and watch reruns of F.R.I.E.N.D.S for the rest of today, before having to drag myself back to school tomorrow. I grab my bag from the trunk of the mini bus and begin to stroll to the front gate, ready to make my journey home. I just wanted to get in and attempt to work out what had been said and done the entire trip; I wanted to figure out if I should erase everything from my memory or work with it. I just knew that this time a few months ago I was nobody and I was beginning to just want my old life back.

I begin to make my way out of the gate, when a hand is placed onto my shoulder. I quickly spin on my heel, swinging my back over with me and finding Ashton stood behind me. I hadn't spoken to Ashton since we had gotten lost in the forest, but then again, why would we speak? We're from two different worlds, it's not like this would ever work.

"Where are you going?" Ashton asks, catching his breath. I continue to stroll out of the gate and down the street, as Ashton walks by my side. 

"I'm going to go for a run, make some lunch, head out to the shops, complete a work out DVD and feed my goldfish." 

"Really?" Ashton asks, furrowing his eyebrows together as he looks to me carefully for an answer. I roll my eyes and let out a small chuckle.

"No, Ashton. I'm going to eat unhealthy food and feel sorry for myself," I admit, with a smirk. "Although, I do actually have to feed Lesley."

"Lesley?"

"My goldfish," I reply and watch Ashton's face crease together. I knew that it was probably a pretty odd thing to name a fish, although at the time it seemed like a good idea. Besides, what else can you really call a fish? It's not like it's cute or fluffy, so a boring name goes great for a pretty boring animal. Anyway, no one had ever really asked me about my pet fish before so I never had to experience the embarrassment of announcing that my fish was called Lesley. 

"You named your goldfish Lesley?" Ashton continues to question, seeming somewhat fascinated by the whole thing. "Isn't that some sort of stereotypical lesbian name?"

I look to him for a moment, expecting to see a smirk although Ashton looked dead serious. Ashton was pretty hard to understand sometimes, since he could be smart - but sometimes, he just isn't. He's clever and quick when he wants to be, but sometimes he really does intrigue me with the things he says, however I do quite like that about him. I much prefer his innocent side to his smart-ass comebacks.

"He's a boy," I say, lightly slapping Ashton's arm, "and do you actually have something to say or would you like to just insult Lesley?"

Ashton lets out a laugh, before finally deciding to cut to his point. "I know I said that you should buy me coffee, but I've decided to be a good person and buy you lunch."

I look to him for a moment, confused on how to respond. I knew that Ashton had said a few things earlier in the forest, but I wasn't sure how much of it he had meant. I knew that he wouldn't say them things without much meaning, since it took him a lot of effort to get his words out, I just didn't know if he'd actually take action towards them. 

"I guess lunch is good." I smile to him gingerly. "I'm in the mood for steak and an expensive white wine..."

Ashton rolls his eyes, as he continues to march down the street. "How about you get in the mood for McDonald's and a one dollar milkshake."