seventeen - male species

I slowly look my small frame up and down in the mirror hanging on my wall, wonder what I was doing with my life.

Today was Luke's Christmas party, which apparently everyone was going to - not that I was going to know anyone there. I had tried to find a way out of it, but I realized that if I didn't turn up it would involve conversation with people about why I didn't turn up to my 'apparent' boyfriend's party. I had to avoid conversation with these people at all costs, so I decided it would be the best idea to stop watching Mean Girls for the tenth time today and leave the house.

I hadn't even chosen this dress, that Jasmine girl did when I had been shopping with her and all the other clones of her yesterday afternoon. I was going to go with the simple look of wearing jeans and a cute top, but obviously they were not having that. 

So, here I am - stood in front of my mirror attempting to stand up straight as I wobble on the platform heels and attempt to pull down the hem of the dress so that it at least went half way down my thigh. The dress isn't even a subtle colour; of course a pale pink would not have suited me nicely. Yellow. Apparently yellow is totally my colour, but honestly, I feel like the sun has just thrown up on me. 

Yellow is a colour for happy and cheerful people. That's really not me at all.

I let out a deep sigh as I grab my clutch bag and begin to waddle my way down  the stairs, wishing I lived in a bungalow because walking down stairs in these heels was more scary than anything I had ever done in my life. That makes my life seem pretty sad, actually.

I finally make my way to the bottom, to be greeted with my dad's eyes going wide and my mom dropping the tea towel to the floor as she comes out of the kitchen. I roll my eyes at their reactions, although I couldn't blame them - I do look pretty horrendous.

My dad drops his newspaper and stands from the single sofa, slowly beginning to walk over to me as I stand by the front door as my mum follows closely behind.

"If you think you're going out like that, then you should probably think again," My dad warns, raising his index finger and pointing it to me. 

My mom quickly jumps in, "Where are you going anyway? I thought you said Saturday nights are your 'Don't talk to me, I hate my life.' nights?"

I groan as she speaks, knowing I had said that a few months ago in some argument with my parents about going on a family cinema trip. Like, seriously, as if I wanted to go watch some some cartoon film with my family for my younger brothers. I would rather poke my eyes out with pins.

"I told you mom, I have to go to some party tonight," I sigh, beginning to get agitated with my parents interferring with my life.

My mom's eyes widen, as to my dad's. They both look to each other with shock as their mouths both turn into wide grins. I watch them light up like it was Christmas morning, wondering if my life was really that bad that this was how my parents reacted to me going out. I was pretty sure that most parents would be questioning their child and telling them not to drink alcohol, but mine seemed to be almost shoving me out of the door.

"This is so wonderful!" My mom gushes, grabbing her coat off of the hook. "I'll even drive you, God, I can't believe this is really happening!"

My dad wraps his arms around me, embracing me into an unwanted hug. "I'm so proud that you've finally decided you want to interact with people."

I haven't, actually, this is more of a getting forced against my will kind of thing - but I won't tell them about that. 

"Mom, if you're going to drive me can we just leave already?" I mumble as my mum takes out her phone and begins to take pictures of me. I furrow my eyebrows as I look away from the camera, not wanting to do this right now - or ever.