twenty six - have a carrot

before y'all go hating on lacey at the end of this chapter (u will know what i mean) just remember that shes drunk af

-

I grab more tissue paper, ready to throw onto the mountain I had already built up, and wipe off the pink lipstick from my lips. I had been in Ashton's bathroom for seemingly forever now, trying to make myself look presentable for his parents. I just want tonight to be perfect because I know how much this means to Ashton. This could potentially ruin everything for us and the thought of that scares me.

I pull out an ambitious cherry red lipstick and apply it carefully, puckering my lips together as I observe myself in the mirror. I like it, but what if his parents don't? What if it looks trashy? No. I need to stop worrying about what other people think and realize that I like this lipstick on me.

Ashton thumps on the bathroom door for the hundredth time since I got in here. I knew that his parents are already downstairs since I heard them greet Ashton outside of the bathroom a few minutes ago. Perhaps I'm just stalling. God, why am I so nervous about this? My hands seem to sweat just at the thought of having to go downstairs and make small talk with strangers.

Reluctantly I open the door and quickly scurry passed Ashton, worried on his opinion towards what I'm wearing. I settled for a black shift dress and my red pumps. Ashton follows me back into his bedroom and I can feel his eyes burning into me as he watches me perform some finishing touches.

"Are you sure you want to do this whole dinner thing?" Ashton questions, walking closer to me and wrapping his arms around me from behind. "I quite like the idea of staying in here and ripping that dress off you."

I blush and for a moment I feel almost lured into his offer. No, remain strong. "We should get downstairs - I don't want to keep them waiting."

I turn around so I'm face to face with Ashton. He didn't go to too much effort as he stands wearing a black shirt and skinny jeans - but he still looks gorgeous. I press my hands to his chest and smoothing out the creases in his shirt. He smiles as he watches and my cheeks burn up as I catch his gaze on me.

"You don't need to be nervous about this, Lacey," Ashton says softly, taking a strand of hair behind my ear, "my parent's shitty opinions don't matter anyway."

"I just don't want them to think I'm not good enough for you," I mumble, looking up to Ashton.

Ashton furrows his eyebrows and his expression is sweet. "We should leave here."

I nod. "Yeah, your parents are-"

Ashton interrupts - his tone still soft and our faces inches apart, "I mean let's get out of this town. We could go anywhere you want - just you and me like in those dumb movies."

I chuckle at the thought, unsure whether this boy is being serious. The thought does sound delightful though. "I just want to be with you."

Ashton smiles, rubbing his thumb against my cheek. "The world is all ours, Lacey. We're going to go far - I just know it."

I can't help but wonder where all of this was coming from, but I enjoyed living in the little fantasy. "Sounds good." I smile.

I go to walk away, when Ashton's soft grip grabs my arm and pulls me back. I gaze into his eyes and feel lost - like I just want to say here forever. "I don't know what's going to happen in ten years from now, but I don't ever want to let you go."

God, I love you. "Why are you saying all of this now?"

Ashton shrugs and I feel worried. "I just want you to know than I like you pretty hardcore, Lacey. I mean, I think I l-"