Prologue

MAUI, HAWAII

"Semaj what the hell are we doing out here?" Michael asked irritatedly as he was tired and jet legged from the eleven and half hour flight and uncomfortable ride to the Island. It was Joseph's wedding gift to his son and daughter-in-law that he be able to pay for their honeymoon. And having always wanted to visit Hawaii neither of them complained about the grand gesture.

And though Michael had missed his now-wife, having only seen her (physically) once a month since she'd left for college he'd just wish she'd picked another day to do whatever it is that she was trying to do tonight.

"Do you have your vows?" She turned to him, the breeze blowing her hair all over the place.

Michael nodded and held up the sheet of paper he had in his hands, a glass bottle cradled underneath his armpit.

"Okay I'll read mine first," Semaj smiled and unfolded the paper she had in her hands, digging her bare feet into the cool sand underneath them.

"Michael, I promise to love you without condition, to honor you each and every day, and to laugh with you when you're happy. To support you when you're sad, to guide you when you ask for direction, and to challenge you to be a better person while allowing you to do the same for me. I will forever be your biggest fan and your ever present listening audience for I have loved you more than anything else in this world and vow to do so until my very last breath."

Her eyes peered over the top of her paper shyly, causing Michael to forget all about his irritation hearing her recite the same words she had just the day before. She giggled, nodding her head in his direction for him to read his.

"Semaj, I love you enough to fight for you, compromise for you, and sacrifice myself for you if need be. Enough to miss you when we're apart no matter how long or how far. Enough to believe in our relationship and to stand by it when we're at our best and especially at our worst. To have faith in us, in our strength, and to never give up. I will love you enough to spend the rest of my life with you, to be there for you when you need or want me and to never want to leave you or live without you for you have made me into a better person than I ever knew I could be. And since knowing you and loving you has been the single greatest thing I've ever gotten to do in my life I find joy in knowing that I get to continue to be a part of your life, loving you more and more every day for the rest of our lives."

Semaj started with the tears again, poking her lip out and then playfully snatching his paper out of his hands.

"Show off," she whined and Michael laughed, pushing her hair behind her ear though it didn't stop it from flying all over the place.

"Okay, Mrs. Jackson please tell me why the fuck are we out here?"

"To put our vows in the earth," she said simply as if he should've known what that meant. "Bottle?" Michael handed over the bottle he was holding and then helped her put the pieces of paper inside and enclose it, sure that it wouldn't reopen.

Semaj grabbed his hand bringing them closer to the water. The waves pushed the warm beach water onto their bare feet, causing Semaj to giggle again and then she tossed the bottle as far as she could.

"And what is that 'posed to do?" Michael asked glancing up at the moonlit sky.

"It's like putting positive things into the atmosphere you know? Maybe putting it in the earth will make it a thousand times better. Not saying that we don't have to put in our own share of hard work, but positive speaking and positive vibes are known to work too."