Chapter 32 | Fallen Flowers

You did some things to me
Boy, you do some things to me
But love is deeper than your pain and I believe you can change
Baby, the ups and downs are worth it
Long way to go, but we're workin'

***
[This update might seem all over the place and a little confusing, but it'll all come together in the next 2-3 chapters... hopefully.]

Semaj's POV

I turned my head to make sure Michael was still asleep before I slid the screen door, that led to our enclosed patio attached to the bedroom, open. I tried to close it back as quietly as possible, watching him to make sure he remained asleep.

I sat down on the ash gray couch, staring at the pretty glare that the moon left in the pool. Then I looked at the ring on my finger before sliding it off. I'd been wearing it for two days now and still wasn't used to the feeling of it being on my finger.

No one had caught up on it either including Janet and Simone though I don't think they cared to look at anything other than their phones or a TV or computer screen. I hadn't even told Lina, the girls, or Ms. Katherine.

Michael had given me the option to tell people when I was ready. I think he believed I still had doubts or wasn't complete sure if I wanted to be his wife again. Well, on paper that is.

Little did he know I was dying to be his wife. And when someone promises to protect your heart and provide for you, who are you to say no? Especially when that man was Michael.

I was a habitual over-thinker, but this time around I was sure of what I wanted and that was Michael. So I slipped the ring back on my finger trying to guess how much he spent on the ring, but wouldn't tell me.

At the sound of the screen door sliding open my head snapped over in its direction. I kissed my teeth, rolling my eyes playfully. "You weren't even sleep, were you?"

"I slept without you for a year," he said as he came over to on the coffee table in front of me. Usually I'd fuss at him for disrespecting my expensive furniture, but this time I let it slide.

"So, I know what it feels like when you ain't next to me." He looked at me with those make-believe innocent brown eyes that made me smile. "So, I ain't able to sleep."

"So, you were just all down and out while I wasn't here, huh?" I asked playfully, the smile still on my face.

"See now," he chuckled. "If you was someone else I would be a G and say it wasn't all that...."

"But?"

"But since it's you ima be straight up," those brown eyes cut back up at me. "You had a brother hurtin'."

I just laughed, playing with the ring on my finger. Michael grabbed my hands and his eyes locked with mine. "What you doin' up?"

"Can't sleep," I sighed, shrugging.

"You wanna talk 'bout something?"

I shook my head. I'm sure he was just as talked-out as I was. Plus, everything was good. It was great even. I had nothing to talk about.

I licked my lips, shaking my head again. "Not talk..."

His eyebrows lifted, but Michael wasn't dumb and the small smile he held on his face turned sly. I leaned forward, sliding my legs down from off the couch and kissed his lips, but I was leaning most of the way.

"What?" I chuckled against his lips and he smiled. "You're going to make me beg?"

"Maybe," he replied playfully. I kissed my teeth, moving my body back so it was against the couch. "Damn, you give up that easy?"