Chapter 7 | Us

Next year lets call this day our anniversary
The day I put my heart in your hands
And said that it was yours to keep

From this moment on say
That you'll always be mine
'Cause girl when I'm alone with you
There's only one thing that's on my mind

***

Latoya didn't let me live down wanting a simple wedding. She badgered me all throughout the summer to allow her to coordinate it and while I just wanted something simple, and not too over the top, she had something completely different in mind.

And with three weeks of begging I finally gave up and allowed her to put it together with giving her my limits, of course to no avail, of keeping things simple.

Luckily, Joseph had been nice enough to pay for some of the wedding and my mother had a hand in it too. Even Michael had put in a few thousand.

Meanwhile my little eleven dollar an hour job at Target wasn't doing much but putting gas in Michael's car, keeping up the maintenance, and buying me the fast food I didn't need. Michael felt that I didn't need to help with a lot of stuff, but I still feel like I wasn't pulling my weight so occasionally I would sneak and pay a bill. Michael would give me that look, but it still made me feel better after I did it.

Which is why I wanted the wedding to be short, sweet, and simple. Something that wasn't overly expensive. Something I could help chip in with and not break my pockets entirely, but I'd put too much faith in LaToya's hands to do as I asked and like always she went overboard without a care in the world.

So now here I was standing in an expensive white dress that I could only help put three-hundred on with Michael's arm wrapped tightly around my waist as the flash from the camera nearly blinded us for the hundredth time.

Michael leaned over into my ear as the photographer brought the camera down to glance at what he'd just take. "Are you okay?"

"My feet hurt," I whined back and Michael laughed.

"Well take off your shoes."

"I can't," I said, peering over at LaToya who was fixing Lina's hair while Lina tried to smack her hands away from her face. "LaToya would have a fit."

Michael kissed his teeth and bent down, lifting up the puffy ends of the dress and I felt his hand wrap around my ankle. I jumped from his cold fingertips and he looked up with a smile on his face before I felt his hand grab the back of my heel as he lifted my leg and pulled off the shoe.

That's when I heard LaToya snap behind me.

"Uh un Mike what are you doing?!" Her high pitched voice squeaked and soon she was right beside me as Michael had quickly taken off my other heel. I sighed in relief as my feet rested against the floor. I was so happy to be out of the heels that I didn't bother to think of how dirty the floor actually was.

The venue we'd chosen, or rather LaToya, for the reception had a beautiful outside and inside scenery, so we lucked up being able to take the pictures and enjoy the afterparty in the same building. And with all the photos I'd been standing up taking made me glad I didn't have to walk too far in them.