Chapter 26 | My Girl

THREE WEEKS LATER-July

Semaj's POV

My first two nights in the hospital I spent it with Lina while Michael sat in a holding cell waiting for his Monday morning arraignment.

After he was released on an amount of bail, that Katherine told me gave her a headache when she heard the judge say it, Michael never left my side.

The only time he left the hospital was to go back to his hotel to shower which, on most days, only took him an hour.

If it was any more than that he would always make sure someone was here sitting with me. Nine times out of ten it was Lina. She had been hovering, too.

I didn't mind especially when Michael was here. It had been three weeks since the... incident and according to the hospital psychologist who was sent to evaluate me-after I flipped out when I woke up to a male nurse trying to check my vitals-I was experiencing a rather large case of post-traumatic stress disorder.

I flinched sometimes when people touched me and I didn't see it coming.

Michael had noticed it first because whenever he was about to even lay a finger on me he called my name and made sure I was seeing exactly what he was doing which was trying his best not to spook me when he laid a hand on my shoulder or touched my face or fingers.

I didn't so much mind his touch though. He was gentle, always had been, and even more so now after what happened to me.

I tried not to get emotional with him around because it made him feel bad. I knew it without him even saying it because he showed it by being by my side night and day.

He was blaming himself Lina told me because he had been an hour late. But that was Michael thinking that anything that could happen to me or had happened to be could have been prevented if he had been there on time or when I needed him.

It was my fault. I had once again put myself in a fucked-up situation, he was blaming himself for it, and now he was dealing with the consequences of going after Jason.

Michael walked in my hospital room with his (new) phone in hand. He kissed his teeth, his face directly on the screen. "At at! Mimi get that out'cho mouth."

That was another thing. It had been three weeks since he'd seen his daughter in person.

He had been settling for FaceTime calls until Camille's thumbs got to sliding on the screen which resulted in her (always) accidentally hanging up on him.

He could've gone back to California. Even with the pending charges.

He had hired a local lawyer to help with his case. And to my surprise he had been released on his own recognizance considering he had extensive ties to the community under the condition that he surrender his passport and be in attendance for his first hearing which was roughly a little over three weeks away.