Chapter 23 | One More Chance

If you could give me one good reason
Why I should believe you
Believe in all the things that you tell
I would sure like to believe you
My heart wants to receive you
Just make me know that you are sincere
You know I'd love for you to lead me
And follow through completely
So won't you give me all I ask for
And if you give your very best
To bring me happiness
I'll show you just how much I adore you
***

Semaj's POV

I gawked at LaToya's wedding invitation in Jay's hand. The one that I had definitely not sent to him. I hadn't even had any intention of asking him to be my plus one. I was going to let Kearston be mine to get her out of the house being that she had a child and all and deserved a break.

I tried to wipe the shock expression I knew I had on my face off as I moved out of the way to let Jason into my apartment, so I could close the door.

"I definitely did not send you an invitation. And I have no idea who did."

He glanced at it for a second and then shrugged. "Well, whoever did, I'll happily except it. You don't talk about your family much anymore, so it'll be nice to meet them."

"This isn't my family," I chuckled nervously.

"I thought you said LaToya was your sister?"

"She's like a sister. She's Michael's biological sister though, so it'll be his family at the wedding. Of course, my mom and little sisters will be there too, but other than that that's it."

"Oh right," he snapped a finger and pointed it at me. "I didn't even think to separate the two. Well, at the very least I could meet your mom and sisters aside from what I already know about them and I've never been to New Orleans." He smiled, "it's always been on my list of places to go. So, maybe it'll be fun."

"Jay did you not hear me? This is Michael's family meaning Michael is going to be there. Last I checked you and Michael weren't the best of friends, so I'm not sure how he would feel if you showed up to his sister's wedding regardless of having the invitation or not."

He licked his lips and gave me an interesting look. It was almost as if he was thinking of something.

"You're not sure how he would feel if I showed up to his sister's wedding or you're not sure how he would feel if I showed up to his sister's wedding with you?"

I wanted to say both but instead I shook my head. "Who I come to the wedding with is none of Michael's business. We're divorced and have our separate lives. I just don't think it's the best idea for me to show up there with you. This will be the first time we're around our families since we signed the papers and things will be awkward already without you there. If you were to be there it would just make it worse."

"Okay, then I won't go to the wedding. Are you going to stop me from coming to New Orleans, too? I'm pretty sure that city is big enough where Michael and I won't run into each other. Look, I know that might put you in an awkward position, but I desperately need a vacation after the news I found out and after the day I had. Your ex-husband isn't exactly the easiest to work with."

I moved over to the couch to sit down and Jason took a place in the accent chair adjacent to me. "Michael regardless of what's going on between our private lives or us was always a professional. So, nine times out of ten if he's not easy to work with its because you might've done something wrong."

I wasn't being malicious nor was I taking Michael's side because I didn't even know what had gone on between them, but Jason was offended. He frowned as he said. "He's an ass. He's got this macho attitude that just feeds into his ego."